Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I tried the 30hz tone again with the cable disconnected from the wall, and without the MIC2200. It still looks like its bottoming out, though not as bad as far as I can tell. I'm going to try picking up a SPL meter soon. I also tried the 30hz tone with the box sealed, and it still looked like it was bottoming out. Would sealed make the problem even worse?

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I think with you tuning to 15Hz, your port isn't helping much with excursion at 30Hz. I don't think anything is wrong at all, especially if it played fine free air. You are reaching the limits of the driver in that alignment. If you were tuned to 30Hz, then you'd have very little excursion at 30 and it might pick back up at 45Hz, 15Hz up from that tuning, but probobly not as drastic because 45Hz requires much less excursion than 30Hz to begin with, whereas 15Hz vs 30Hz in sealed might be close to begin with.

Do a sweep sealed, you should see a constant change in excursion, perfect every time... but when you unplug the port, suddenly it will have less excursion again as it nears tuning. Probobly not much affect on 30Hz.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
So there's no way to fix the excursion issue at 30hz unless I change the tuning frequency?
This needs to be confirmed. I can't say there aren't any issues or problems. If you have spare wood, why not build another ported and tune higher, play and experiment, get to know a higher tune?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Thanks. Sorry for the shoddy pictures. That's the only camera I have right now. I usually use my mom's camera, but she's out of town.

Anyways, I will be getting the rest painted as soon as I go to wallyworld and pick up 4 or so more cans of bed liner :bigsmile:

I'm going out of town on Thrusday, so it will be sometime after the next two weeks. I am really busy with school (home schooled), so it is just worked on whenever I get free time.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I made a few videos with some bass heavy songs. Check them out:

On Bass I Love You, the 8hz tone even moves the windows :bigsmile:
Careful listening to Bass I Love you at high volumes, I talk around 1:08 or so, and its kinda loud...

·
Banned
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
SJ, I hope you do more then just run around watching things vibrate!

I probably shouldn't even show this one to you, but this is my favorite show off video. (assuming You tube doesn't kill the audio quality).

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
my favorite:

The 1st is a 12w7 sealed playing late night tip, it has the most excursion I have ever seen

The second isn't near as impressive unless you know the songs and you've driven around bumping them... but the hair all over the place, hair trick to MUSIC, and the tearing sheet metal door still confirms. 4 soloX 18's sealled wall in a van

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
originating from 12V, I have learned only to trust the Term Lab, TL, but I have never competed. It measures via pressure I believe and yields much different results than "the mic". After a couple years of learning to completely ignore "the mic" numbers, I am now trying to retrain my brain since you guys use REW and the like using "the mic". I believe and trust HT more than 12V mon-sun...

but the TL can't be had used for less than $700ish

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #195 (Edited)
SJ, I hope you do more then just run around watching things vibrate!

Na, I just do that for some videos...
That song is really cool. I can feel the 9hz tones in it and so can my windows :bigsmile: The 20hz tones shake everything like crazy.

Just got a PS3 slim 120gb a few days ago :spend:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
I listened to Controversy by Big B (clean version...too much cussing otherwise) and I messed with my EQ settings quite a bit.
I left the HPF knob set to 12hz, and started goofing off with the bandwidth, boost, and boost frequency settings. I put the frequency knob to ~35hz, and boosted it by 15dB's.
Now I know that the EP2500 isn't capable of actually putting that power to the sub, but I just set it there anyways.
All I have to say is WOW. Such a deep rumble (for music...doesn't compare to movies), and it still sound good. I can turn my receiver up to 72dB's out of 80, and my pre out channel is a -13dB. (too much bass otherwise, and the amp clips to.)
All of the Texaco cars and planes on my top shelf are literally jumping off the shelf each time the low notes hit.

Now I'm really anxious to start building a box ported to 26hz :bigsmile:
It should offer a big improvement for music stuff. And I have a plan up my sleeve for dropping the tuning fc. Just plug up some ports!! Lol. Thanks for the help with that Mike P.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, that boost is going to soak up all the juice on the EP2500, and leave nothing for the rest of the music. Try to leave boost out of it and enjoy it how it is. I'm having to relearn what good bass is with my Maelstrom. I got so used to the 45hz boost that my old sub had, that not having it sounded weird...but then, I realized I was hearing so many other bass frequencies that were just buried under that 45hz boost.

I'm looking forward to your next build though! I'm seriously considering another 21" for my theater setup!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I'm not going to leave the boost there, I was just messing around with it, to see what it sounded like.
, I'm almost considering another M-18 for my 13x13 room :bigsmile:
But, that will probably change as soon as I change the porting to 26hz.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #199 (Edited)
I've just noticed that I have to boost 20hz by about 8dB's to get it to sound as loud as say a 40hz tone. Is that normal, or does it have something to do with my room?
About how much bass will a queen sized bed absorb? Its sitting pretty much right in the middle of my room, leaving about a yard or so of clearance until my wall unit. And the side of the wall unit is about another yard away from the sub.

Edit...I checked my EQ settings and it was boosted by about 8dB's rather than 5dB's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Our ears are not very sensitive to sound at 20Hz. You more 'feel' low bass like that.

Did you gauge the loudness by ear? If so, thats the reason.

Have you taken any measurements?

Apologies if I have missed posts that contain that info.

181 - 200 of 305 Posts