Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

201 - 220 of 305 Posts

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Those videos.....is that noise even enjoyable? :scratch: I just don't get it.
I think people around here need to learn that different strokes come for different folks. I too enjoy playing the same material. I drive around listening to Bass I Love You on repeat. I love making woofer vids, lots of them. It is what makes me happy and I'm glad there are others out there as well.

This isn't a jab at you Steve, nothing personal... I've just gotten a lot of negative feedback from this forum which is why you will see me disappear for a week or a month here and there.

Somehow I always come back. I like it here. But sometimes people got to learn we aren't all the same. If we were, there would only be 1 subwoofer, 1 amp, 1 home style... we'd all get the same thing and do the same thing with it.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I don't consider it negative feedback when you were asked to stay on topic in other people's threads. It's what separates this forum from other forums where you'll find pages of off topic posting that have nothing to do with the original subject. You're more then welcome to start any thread you like on the topic of your choosing. Since we had our "chat" you've been stellar. Moving on.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
No I haven't been able to take any measurments yet, but yes it was by ear. Although, there wasn't a lot of tactile feeling either. Stuff wasn't rattling around, it was just quiet.

I'll try to get the needed equiptment to do some tests as soon as possible.

·
Registered
487 Posts
No I haven't been able to take any measurments yet, but yes it was by ear. Although, there wasn't a lot of tactile feeling either. Stuff wasn't rattling around, it was just quiet.

I'll try to get the needed equiptment to do some tests as soon as possible.
cool.

I look forward to seeing the measurements. It seems like you have a LOT of output, which is a good thing :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Those videos.....is that noise even enjoyable? :scratch: I just don't get it.

lol.
I NEVER have the bass turned up louder than the words. I can't stand it when the bass overpowers the words and drowns out everything.
I only have the sub set that loud for the videos. Plus, I don't like taking a possibility in bottoming out the sub, or clipping the amp.
Also, I enjoy music different than BassoTronics stuff. It's not by any means by favorite "band", I listen to many other bands from 80's genre, to hard rock, to some punk stuff. I usually just use the bassotronics stuff to show the bass and how the sub responds to that stuff. Many subwoofers are immensly overpowered by bassotronics stuff, and the users don't even notice it; at least until they see a "real" sub.

Actually, now that I think of it, the bass NEVER overpowered the words and trebble in all of the videos that I have made. Seriously. It may have in one, but it wasn't by much at all.

I totally missed this page when I posted a reply to Drizt.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
It's not that I disagree with the musical choices - to each his own - but in those vidoes, the music being played is distorted beyond recognition. The bass is cranked up so much that you can't really hear any other sounds except bass thumps, and the resonances created from the vehicles are almost at the same amplitude as the fundamental from the driver(s). No offense intended, but that's just noise.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
It's not that I disagree with the musical choices - to each his own - but in those vidoes, the music being played is distorted beyond recognition. The bass is cranked up so much that you can't really hear any other sounds except bass thumps, and the resonances created from the vehicles are almost at the same amplitude as the fundamental from the driver(s). No offense intended, but that's just noise.
Haha, ok. If you think that all you can hear is bass, then you should have hear the videos that my old camera took. It was awful.
I'm working on getting the noises out of the Texaco cars, if that's what your talking about...

And in person, I can guarantee that the music is not distorted, the Bose (ugh ;P their alright though...) that I have actually have pretty clear mids and highs... I haven't heard "real" speakers, so to you, they might be slightly distorted.
But as I said...In person, the bass is not overpowering the words. In fact, I have my receiver set at 69 dB's for most of the videos. I can take it to 80 dB which is the max, but then my mains can't make enough bass (to an extent), and the EP2500 starts clipping.

I've even had my dad listen to some music with the receiver maxed out, and he even said that there wasn't enough bass coming from the sub becuase I had to keep it turned down to keep the amp from clipping. My dad ALWAYS has the bass down pretty low, so I was extremely suprised to hear that from him. As long as I keep the receiver at or below 70dB's, the bass is leveled out almost perfectly with the mains.

And, no offense taken.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #210 (Edited)
Oh ok. I thought that you meant my videos that are taken inside the house had the bad distortion haha.
My bad for the mis-understanding.

I don't know if this is the place to ask this or not, but would I see a difference in sound quality if I went from the regular red/white audio outputs to digital optical on my DVD player or PS3?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If you have a surround sound system, absolutely, as a stereo pair of RCA cables can only give you stereo or Pro Logic - you need an optical cable, digital coax cable, or hdmi cable to carry DD, DTS, and the new lossless formats.

If you are just doing stereo listening and wondering if your processor has better DACs than your dvd player or PS3, they are all pretty much the same nowadays.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Ok, I'll try to pick up a digital optical or coax cable. I would use my HDMI cable, but my receiver a few years old (and cheap), and doesn't have the HDMI slot.
Would a digital optical cable be a better choice to get over the coax cable?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Sub junkie,

Do you get any chuffing or port noises from your slot ported sub when playing loud. I saw your videos and couldn't anything. I am looking into doing something similar with my two FI Q18's. I plan to do 2 single 18 slot ported subs which will be 9.5 cu ft (42" by 24" by 22") each running off my behringer EP4000 in 2 x 1200 watts rms.

I also think its quite funny doing vids like that. Its good to see what your sub can do for a laugh.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Sub junkie,

Do you get any chuffing or port noises from your slot ported sub when playing loud. I saw your videos and couldn't hear anything. I am looking into doing something similar with my two FI Q18's. I plan to do 2 single 18 slot ported subs which will be 9.5 cu ft (42" by 24" by 22") each running off my behringer EP4000 in 2 x 1200 watts rms.

I also think its quite funny doing vids like that. Its good to see what your sub can do for a laugh.

cheers

Graham
There is a little bit of port noise at my tuning frequency (14.6hz or so), but you have to be within a yard or so to be able to hear the slightest port noise, and even then, its pretty quiet.

Performance is equal, but I prefer optical to digital coax simply because optical can't carry a 60hz ground loop issue if there is one present in your system. Also, in my oinion, fiberoptic cable is just more impressive than copper :nerd:
Alright, I will get the optical instead. I seem to have a slight ground loop issue even with my cable tv disconnected from the wall. One day the ground loop noise was worse with the cable disconnected than it was with it back connected to the wall. It was weird...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dudes, on the bottoming out the sub ..

I have dayton reference sub (and I know how this noise is being produced), to reach it I press the cone down with my bare hands to its suspension limits, but carefully and with old subs I reach that . With Hertz and Daytons I have, I do not reach that point where voice coil former hits the pole piece. So sad for such a pumped with muscle sub

(No doubt dayton will reach its excur. limits much earlier than the Maelstrom)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
So, your saying that the weird noise that my sub is making is from the VC hitting the pole piece? As far as I know, that is impossible for the Mal-X because it has suspension limited Xmech, not mechanically limited. The Spider will hit the basket and, as far as I know, will stop it from traveling further.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It can be either way, i had a member of the exodus audio replying me on the issue and he says the same Xmax is not limitted by the VC hitting the pole piece.
If that knocking noise appears i would try it pressing the cone carefully and evenly down to the bottom to get a notion, but that is safely done when the sub is facing the ceiling, i.e. upwards

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Well, the only Mal-X's that I saw that had the knocking problem were the first generation, and there were only a few. I think something had happened in the VC and caused it to hit against the side of the magnet or something like that. I didn't really have any details about it.

Just as a general question, would there be a big difference in bass if the room is all hard wood, over carpet? I've heard mixed opinions about it.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It's just the suspension running out of play and limiting. Not the former connecting with the backplate otherwise known as hard bottoming. Eithere way if you are hearing that sound knock it back a few db.

201 - 220 of 305 Posts