Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
As far as I know, my receiver boosts all of the frequencies, but I don't remember. I don't see why all receivers wouldn't boost all of them rather than just 20-30hz etc... But it still have the problem when its at 0dB, or lower. I only did that so I didn't have to have the gain way up on the MIC2200, because the hum noise is annoying.

I called Kevin, and he helped me run the sub through a few tests, and it all checked out. The noise is still there though. I will post the video here and email it to him as he requested. Note that my camera amplified the noise that its making. It's not quite that loud in person. The amp isn't clipping in the video, and it is on one channel (of the EP2500 in 4Ω) like I say in the video.

Here is the video. I think I sound funny in videos lol:

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
So far you have taken the EQ out of the loop, swapped out the receiver and the sub checks out. Next thing to do is eliminate the hum issue. Maybe that has something to do with it.
out of curiosity, most noise, esp ground issues, are 60Hz in nature due to power supply being 60Hz AC? Can harmonics go down as well as up, 30Hz being 1/2 of 60Hz... so the hum being the culprit because of this?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I found out today that the replacement cable that I'm getting is out of stock. So, I won't be able to try it for a while. And, my dad is saying that I need to put the amp away until Christmas. It is an early Christmas gift anyways. This thing is awesome with the EP2500. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
103 Posts
try a different brand of cable. if it is the same brand of cable as before, the cable you are getting is all manufactured the same way. this will help to eliminate the cable as the culprit.

go to your local audio store and find one. if it is the culprit, problem solved. if it is not, return the cable to the store and move to the next piece of equipment in the chain.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Sorry for another double post...
Anyways, I did a few more tests for the ground issue. I unplugged my LCD TV, and that didn't help it any. I unplugged everything in my room, and that didn't help. Finally, I unplugged the Cable/Sat cable for my tv in my room, and the noise practically is gone. There is just a slight noise with the gain turned all of the way up on the MIC2200, and with the EP2500's gain all of the way up. You can only hear it about 7 feet away, then it is inaudible.

How do I go about fixing this cable issue? (for cable tv by the way)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I found a few threads that mentioned the cable box being a problem, but none of them adressed how to fix them.

I forgot to mention that I ran my cable through a Monster Cable Clean Circurity system, and the noise was still there.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I am not familiar with the Monster Cable system, maybe someone else can give advice on it.

Hum is typically caused through grounding faults and can be a real pain to pinpoint.
Is all the equipment on the same outlet/circuit, is the cable box grounded properly or is the cable box on a different mains circuit?
We don't seem to have as much problems these days down here in Oz. All the wiring is grounded back to the meter box and each room is on the same circuit.

Hopefully someone will come up with suggestions or you could pm the the members in the other threads and ask how they resolved it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I used to have the same problem when I had cable TV and the only thing that worked was the Mondial Magic box ground loop eliminator. There was also the Tributaries Ground Guard which was said to do the same thing but I never tried it. They were like $99 each back in the day but since I don't think they are made anymore you may be able to find one cheap on ebay.

I would call your cable company first and complain to them that the cable is not properly grounded. All they have to do is install a ground and your hum should be gone.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Ok, cool. Would it cost anything for me to have them come out? And, how would I be positive that it isn't grounded properly? I could try to get COX or whoever to come out, but my parents would be weary of anything happening haha

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The cable should be properly grounded so if it is not then they have to correct that with NO additional cost.

I have never done it but basically it is a coupler that goes between the cable coming in from the street which has a ground wire attached to the house ground. I have seen the one they used for my Directv install and it is a simple device. You can just explain to the cable company that your amplifier has a ground loop hum and the only way to stop it is by unplugging the cable TV so that means it is not properly grounded.

Your only other option would be to try and do it yourself or buy one of the ground loop eliminators I mentioned above.

After moving to Directv I have never had another ground loop but I remember the hum horrors when I had cable.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
As far as I could tell, no. I will try just the sub-out channel to the ep2500 later on tonight hopefully to make sure. I will keep the sub channel at 0dB, and the gain all the way up on the amp, and just go to whatever volume on the receiver where the driver starts to hit its limits, and see from there. I might try sealilng up the box, and keep the HPF on and see what it doesn then. I noticed that with it sealed, and with no HPF, a 10hz tone really shakes stuff around. It just sounds like driver noise and a constant sound like brrrrr with it ported. With it sealed, it sounds like it is going boom booom boom really fast haha.

I watched Transformers 2 on dvd a few days ago, and it sounded awesome. A lot of unique bass in that movie. I wish I could remember better how the theater sounded compared to my room. lol.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I might try sealilng up the box, and keep the HPF on and see what it doesn then. I noticed that with it sealed, and with no HPF, a 10hz tone really shakes stuff around. It just sounds like driver noise and a constant sound like brrrrr with it ported. With it sealed, it sounds like it is going boom booom boom really fast haha.
sounds like your 15Hz tune is already unloading considerably at 10Hz... no longer an effective enclosure at 10Hz

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Hmm, thats not good. I need to go pick up a SPL meter soon from Radioshack. I'm anxious to see the reading in my closet during bass i love you or the bass will destroy you by bassotronics. It's hard to stay in my closet for more than a few seconds when those songs are playing. It's crazy. I would also like to see at what SPL the driver hits its limits with the 30hz tone. And compare 10hz sealed to 10hz ported...so many things to do..... :dontknow: where to start...

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Hmm, thats not good. I need to go pick up a SPL meter soon from Radioshack. I'm anxious to see the reading in my closet during bass i love you or the bass will destroy you by bassotronics. It's hard to stay in my closet for more than a few seconds when those songs are playing. It's crazy. I would also like to see at what SPL the driver hits its limits with the 30hz tone. And compare 10hz sealed to 10hz ported...so many things to do..... :dontknow: where to start...
thats how i did a lot of my learning..experiments, testing

161 - 180 of 305 Posts