Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I'm looking to build a subwoofer and would not like to spend any more than $700 total (DSP, Driver, materials, maybe AMP)
I have a 160+160w 4Ohm Amp avaliable and would like to use it but if you think I should spend the money on the amp then I can.
I'm not really sure what my options are, I live in Australia and am happy to buy off Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/

A few things with the driver:
1. I would like to have a box roughly 5 cu. ft. or smaller
2. The room is ~4x5m, I don't need anything too crazy
3. 12" preferred but am happy to go bigger if it is within the budget
4. Budget is very important, can't justify spending more :(
Used for home theater but 75% of the time will be music
*Happily will go bigger driver and box if it can be done within the budget*

also would the miniDSP be a good high pass filter for this?

Thanks
Brad

EDIT: Have been having a bit of a look at this: http://darcheraudio.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_30&products_id=119
The CSS SDX15 15", Thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wondering, is there any reason you went with a sealed box as apposed to a ported box?
Also because the sub is $400 I don't really have enough money to buy an amp so I will have to use the 160wx2 4 ohm amp that I have.

EDIT: Oh wait I didn't realise it was 2Ohm per coil, I don't think my amp can handle that. I think I need to look for a different sub with 4Ohm per coil (or a really really cheap $200 amp that can handle the load)

Brad

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I need a subsonic filter for this sub if it is in a sealed box? If I don't, I could afford a behringer iNUKE 1000 which should work alright.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I used a 21" cube with 3/4" wood, should I still bother with internal bracing? Also I have heard that the fan is noisy, the room which it will be in is also used as a study area while quiet music/radio is on (playing through this system) so I would like to get it as quiet as possible. Has anyone attempted making the heatsink bigger and passive? or used very quiet fans with it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Always Brace internally, Especially for a 15" driver with 30mm one way xmax. Doubling up the thickness of the mounting baffle is usually recommended as well.

The Behringer EP is a solid performer, Fan mods are common, But as far as power/dollar goes, the Behringers are near-impossible to beat.

The Fun part here is that if you've got extra power, and a small-ish sealed box, you can use something like the MiniDSP to get extra extension, at the cost of head room of course. I Currently own an SDX15 in a large low tuned cabinet. I love it. 14 cubes internal @ 15hz.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I am going to use it in a 4 Cu. Ft box, should i be considering some kind of foam/padding inside the box?

·
Registered
393 Posts
You're doing a sealed build?

If so, yes, stuff it. It will help in two ways, it'll trick the box into thinking it's bigger, and it'll absorb any of the upper bass that remains after crossover. (18DB/octave leaves quite a bit of content above 80)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts