Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has giving me the garage for a man cave project. I'm not a real big audiophile so my main goal is all out spl for home theater. The room is 20 x 20 with 9' ceiliengs. I would like the system tuned to about 15-17hz. The size of the box doesn't matter, it can be the size of a fridge or as big as an suv.

Here what im thinking about so far
1. 8 15" tempest and 8 passive radiators with 2 ep2500

2. 4 18" maelstrom and 4 passive radiators with 1 crown xls5000

3. 2 acoupower 18" with 2 of acoupower 10" ports with 1 crown xls5000

So tell me what you guys and girls think.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Re: 8 15 tempest, 4 maelstrom 18's, or 2 acoupower 18's

If size is not an issue, there is no reason to spend extra money on passive radiators, just use a port. Additionally, with the amount of displacement you are talking about, I would opt for a lower tune, something ~12hz, because headroom and output are no longer concerns. Read my LLT Explained thread if you would like more detail on that topic.

Were it me, I'd opt for the quad Maelstrom 18s with 650 liters and an 8" diameter, 38" long port for each driver resulting in a ~11.5hz tuning. The only question left becomes what are you planning on powering such a system with?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I was going with the passive radiators to not issues with port noise. As far as amplifier power, it will either be 2 ep2500 or 1 crown xls5000 depending on what setup i go with.

Why would you run the 4 maelstrom 18's over the 8 tempest 15's? Wouldn't the 8 tempest have more output?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

I'll make it easy for you, there isn't eight Tempest-X in stock so Maelstroms are about your only choice if you want something within the next couple months.

I usually tell people to start with the following choices and then you make driver choices based upon the answers to these questions.

#1. What is your budget?

#2. How big of a cabinet/cabinets can I live with.

#3. What other limitations do I have, SAF, preference, room layout etc...

Give me a call on Monday I'd be happy to help you make the choices.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi, Kevin I've been in contact with you in a few emails allready asking about the tempest in a i.b. setup.

1. budget is about $1500-$2000 for subs

2,3. as for as cabinet, im actually willing to design the room around the sub.

What's SAF?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

With four 8" diameter ports, an infrasonic tuning, and the amount of headroom you will have on hand, potential port noise is a total non issue. Save yourself several hundred dollars and go with the ports.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

I'd agree with Steve, if you don't have size constraints an 8" port gives you plenty of headroom from chuffing.

Even if you have lots of space, it is nice to build things so you can move them and optimize in-room response. Its also easier to build a smaller sub with fewer materials and less bracing. If you are using multiple Maelstroms, you probably won't need ports. You could just build some sealed boxes which simplifies the task even more. I don't know of too many situations where four Maelstroms doesn't do the trick. Make sure you save money in your budget for room measurements and equalization. Room treatments are a good idea too if you are building a room from scratch.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd agree with Steve, if you don't have size constraints an 8" port gives you plenty of headroom from chuffing.

Even if you have lots of space, it is nice to build things so you can move them and optimize in-room response. Its also easier to build a smaller sub with fewer materials and less bracing. If you are using multiple Maelstroms, you probably won't need ports. You could just build some sealed boxes which simplifies the task even more. I don't know of too many situations where four Maelstroms doesn't do the trick. Make sure you save money in your budget for room measurements and equalization. Room treatments are a good idea too if you are building a room from scratch.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com
as for as room acoustics, would it be better to put all 4 in 1 encloser. or could I build 4 and put 1 in each conner of the room
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you spread them out you GENERALLY get smoother in-room response. The downside is that you loose some output compared to putting them all into one box (due to cancellations) and you need four separate ways to equalize them. You are going to have output to throw away so I wouldn't worry about loosing a little but you need a way to equalize each of the boxes. If you have one sub, you need one equalization device.

You are planning to budget some money for measurements & equalization.... right?

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Theoretically... That is assuming a perfectly rectangular room with all boundaries having the same coefficient of absorption. Also, assuming a listening position that is equal for each equalization channel & sub. Rooms are not well behaved though so there isn't anything absolute that can be said other than there are no absolutes. :)

Room measurements really are the best way to make choices. The theory is all fine and dandy but the situation is pretty chaotic. Even the EQ is just a band-aid. You are dealing with an ugly situation and you do the best you can with the tools at hand.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
For one subwoofer it will. All the SMS-1 does is generate a test signal, measure the response at the mic and allow you to set some PEQ settings. It has a couple nice features in that you can save settings, Auto-EQ where you push a button and it does all the work and it has a remote control that is useful for independently adjusting bass volume.

It also has a subsonic filter. It is a good tool but more expensive than most pro-sound PEQs, especially if you have multiple subs.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily assume you NEED EQ unless you plan on going small sealed. If ported, and you'll have four subs to move about the room, you should definitely be able to achieve a relatively flat response naturally. EQ should be the very last option when placement doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Make sure you install a "business window" so you can process all those "noise abatement" citations you'll be getting when the neighbors call in their complaints. We don't want our police officers tied up longer than about 6 minutes per citation doing the writing. You'll probably end up having to get a permit each time you want to turn the system on and only during specified times of the day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts