Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Been lurking for a little while now and decided to try a build of my own.

I went with an 18"dia sonotube bought from whitecap supply cut to a length that would give me 8.8 cubic ft. Used mdf for the top and bottom cap and for the port I used the parts express 4" flared kit.

I used r30 insulation to damp the complete inside of the sonotube and the top cap.

For power I am using the Behringer Inuke 3000dsp. So far so good with it. Just trying to figure out all of the settings for it. I have the low pass set at 70hz and the highpass set at 20hz(lowest the inuke will go)

Here is the graph I ran in WinISD..... Does this look normal to people in the know or is it way off?

Here is a cell phone pic. Will put a better quality pic up when I get some time.

Weak mains at the moment as well. Just getting started with the whole diy thing and wanted to start with the sub. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could always handle more bass:) I am a little disappointed with the output. Do you recommend a different port size?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike P. I appreciate all of your help! In your opinion what is my biggest limiting factor besides the port? Is it the enclosure size, driver choice, Amplifier, etc?

Forgot to mention my receiver is a Yamaha htr 5560 fwiw.

I think I will hit home depot up for a couple of 29" sticks of 4" pvc. Does placement of the port on the top cap matter? I ask because I have the current port centered on the cap. The new location would have to be offset from center.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to Home Depot last night and picked up some pvc pipe and a 4.5" hole saw. I am not able to use the existing hole for the new ports since I dont have a flare. (we cut the existing hole large enough for the flare to sit down on the flange to be screwed to the cap which is 6" dia) I am going to wood glue a round piece of mdf over the old hole. In theory this should seal it up.

I was contemplating on sending my amp back and trying a different one but I think I am going to keep it now. I was maybe going to try try the crown xls 1500 but I want to see how much difference I will see with the added port and port length. I am also going to keep my eye out for a used ep2500/4000 so that I can compare the two amps to one another.

Still havent had time to take good pics yet. Its on the list though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts