Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Powering them with a behringer ep2500.

I had a 18'' exodus audio Mal-x with 2 passive radiators tune to about 14-15 hz. But i had to sell it do to life events. So when i modeled the kickers i just wanted something comparable to the Mal-x 20hz & below. Which the kickers in a ib config did model pretty close +/- a couple db. But in real life 20 hz & below it is no comparison

·
Registered
887 Posts
No comparison sub 20? The Mal-X was better? I would have thought 8x15 would kill the Mal-X. I had simulated 4x15 daytons vs a Mal-X 21 in IB one time and they came out even. Maybe this driver has high fs or something. That or bass-reflex just helps a ton when tuned low on the Mal.

Why did you settle on this particular driver? Can you post some winISD graphs or measurements?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No comparison sub 20? The Mal-X was better? I would have thought 8x15 would kill the Mal-X. I had simulated 4x15 daytons vs a Mal-X 21 in IB one time and they came out even. Maybe this driver has high fs or something. That or bass-reflex just helps a ton when tuned low on the Mal.

Why did you settle on this particular driver? Can you post some winISD graphs or measurements?
1. No comparison sub 20? The 8 kickers Trump the 1 Mal-X sub 20 hz.
2. The Mal-X was better? Have yet to determine which is better as far as SQ, but the kickers are better sub 20 hz.
3. The kicker comp models pretty close to the dayton ib 15 and the MFW-15
4. FS= 23 hz
5. Why did you settle on this particular driver? It's a longer story, overall it was the price!!! 8 of the kicker comps 15's NIB were $570 shipped to my door.
6. Can you post some winISD graphs or measurements? You can see some graphs here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/47816-need-help-asap.html

·
Registered
887 Posts
Oh, OK! I was hoping that was the case but I guess for some reason it seemed like you were inferring that the 8 15's were inferior to the single 18. That makes more sense to me. That is a great price for 8 15's!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get 2 of the kickers for the same price as 1 dayton ib sub and modeling them in an ib, there wasn' t much difference in performance comparing 1 against 1.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Now that you have had these for a while how do you like them. I've been looking into IB but I need to decide if it is worth the trouble of talking the wife into the idea. One thing I haven't seen is, is it audible outside?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that you have had these for a while how do you like them. I've been looking into IB but I need to decide if it is worth the trouble of talking the wife into the idea. One thing I haven't seen is, is it audible outside?
Sorry i posted a reply from my phone a couple days ago, i guess it never posted.

I love the sound of these, better than any manufactured sub I've had.

What sold my wife was that i had 1 of 4, 14 cubic ft enclosures built. And once she saw the size of the one and she knew i wanted 3 more, she was perfectly find with me putting the subs in the attic.

It's not really loud outside, but it's really noticeable in other rooms that share the same attic space.

The only regret i have is the placement. I wish i would have did more sub placement testing prior to cutting the holes. Where i cut the holes were more for looks than fq response.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts