Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I originally posted my build on the AVS forum, but figured I'd repost it here as well since there are so many nice builds.

Originally this build was for 8 Maelstrom-X 18s, but after the QC and build house issues, I've modified my cabinets to take 18" LMS Ultra 5400s. The LMS is a much better driver, but at twice the cost, it should be.

I'm powering them with 4 Marathon MA-5050 amps with the fans replaced with quiet ones. They are remotely triggered and run through solid state relays. Four of these clicking on and off at the same time is pretty neat.

The models and cut lists are designed for 21/32" thick ply.

Sketchup model of the enclosure, all new from previous:

http://countercultured.net/pics/ht/lms/enclosure.skp

Cut lists.. All new to match new model.

Made some sawdust...

Two enclosures ready for bracing and front baffles.

Time to make the bracing.

I got the center braces in, and just made the first of sixteen of the other braces.

All the bracing is cut. I need to position it and secure it next.

This is how everything lines up. The front baffle is on the left of the screen, bottom/top plate on the right.

More building pics.

The one on the left is ready for filling and sanding. I move it around on the speaker cutouts so I don't screw up the bottom.

Ghetto clamping.

All assembled.

With me for scale.

Shot of the baffles.

Nail holes filled.

Sanded and ready for paint

First coat of paint.

Boxes stuffed.

Drivers assembled.

These things are huge :)

All installed.

Some distortion measurements. These were taken with only two amps. Can get 5-6db louder with the additional amps since they didn't like 2ohm duty so much.

This was really hard to get since my power strips want to give up at this level. Need to get some 20a ones.
(I replaced them with rackmount PDUs that will trip at 3000w/25amps. Verified this with a Kill-a-watt)

I think I was starting to hit the limits of my mic here. I only measured from 20hz since my amps will protect at this level if I send DC.

I got a new mic and took some measurements from -50 to -10 on the receiver. The subs are boosted like 11.5db here since I was listening to some dubstep before. I would have taken a reading at 0, but the wife is sleeping upstairs ;)

This was taken with the new WM-61A mic I put together. It looks like I'll have to add in a resistor for attenuation if I wish to measure higher.

The distortion would be lower, but my house was going CRAZY and I was clipping the input.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Well somebody really likes their bass :devil:

The workmanship looks pretty good, cant wait to see this one complete. Out of interest, did you consider dual opposed subs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well somebody really likes their bass :devil:

The workmanship looks pretty good, cant wait to see this one complete. Out of interest, did you consider dual opposed subs?
It is complete. I considered opposed, but half the reason I started a new build was to avoid firing subs directly at the walls :)

I had to hit them with a second coat of paint after swapping out the drivers and redoing the bracing. It brought out some of the flaws. Luckily, the room is very dark and you can't see any of them. The posted pics were prolonged exposure shots.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
It is complete.
Doh, half the pictures didnt load for me the first time :duh:

I considered opposed, but half the reason I started a new build was to avoid firing subs directly at the walls :)

I had to hit them with a second coat of paint after swapping out the drivers and redoing the bracing. It brought out some of the flaws. Luckily, the room is very dark and you can't see any of them. The posted pics were prolonged exposure shots.
Yeah I figured that was probably why. Seeing all the pictures now the setup looks beastly, I bet it sounds the bomb :clap:

How are the cabs with such powerful forward firing drivers, do they rock at all. I suspect you have masses of system headroom and the drivers dont have to work that hard. I would love to hear this setup, I bet the bass is mind blowing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doh, half the pictures didnt load for me the first time :duh:

Yeah I figured that was probably why. Seeing all the pictures now the setup looks beastly, I bet it sounds the bomb :clap:

How are the cabs with such powerful forward firing drivers, do they rock at all. I suspect you have masses of system headroom and the drivers dont have to work that hard. I would love to hear this setup, I bet the bass is mind blowing.
If I max out the amps at like 10hz, I can get them to move maybe 1mm at the top of the cabinets. They probably weigh about 275lbs a piece and are on deep carpet. They don't really go anywhere :)

The bass is incredible. Completely clean, and as loud as you can handle. It will blur your vision and affect your breathing :) I worry for my house a little bit as some of the lower stuff will flex the 2x6 walls. The scene from pulse in particular just shows you where everything vibrates.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Sounds perfect :D

Top man for sharing this one with us, this has to be one of the most serious setups out there. Did you eq it all in, hows the system response?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds perfect :D

Top man for sharing this one with us, this has to be one of the most serious setups out there. Did you eq it all in, hows the system response?
Audyssey brought it to +/- 2db from about 10hz up. Below ~10hz there is a bit of room gain present. I can tell you I'm not really worried about that :)

I have newer graphs on my HTPC, but here is one with a quick Audyssey run and before I added the 3rd and 4th amps to the setup. It's even smoother now.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Cheers nyt, looks great, and that low end gain sure is nice :devil:

Good work all round :clap: We are envious :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I'm hoping I can stop swapping things out and messing with gear for a while. I'll be sending my 5308 in to Denon when they start the upgrade program, and possibly getting a 3d pj sometime next year, but I should be good on speakers for a while :) I hope. My friends/family don't have much faith there, but I'm fairly certain there isn't much left I can do anyway ;)

I should probably focus some of that energy on getting rid of my extra couch and RF83s.

·
Registered
248 Posts
What are those driver that you are throwing in the garbage :yikes: I bet that if they still worked someone here would have been really happy to take them :rubeyes:

Between that a really nice build you hate there. One of the craziest bass build I have ever seen. It must sound great. I would love to hear that for sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
those are defective maelstrom-x 18s. They were no good for anyone as the shorting rings were all loose.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts