Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
A while ago when I was 16 I built a replica Bose Acoustimass bass module with two 6 1/2" subwoofers. When I built it I left one side wall re mountable to So I could tune the chambers by moving the two baffles in it. As a result I got a pretty good sounding sub with higher output. Bose speakers seem to me a bit cheap for what you pay for them. But at the same time they sound pretty good too. I am still up in the air with them. The first set of pix is the style I replicated.

Not sure what design you are targeting So I found some pix for you this is there old Style bass module.

And this is there newer bass module. I think you were referring to the first one.

I'm thinking if your going to build a box with 2 15"s like that its going to be Crazy Awesome.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I actually owned one of the older style bass modules with a lifestyle system. The results were very good given the size of drivers they used, but not when compared with a true sub woofer. I really do wander what a design using proper sub bass drivers would sound like. Boss subs (in commercial use) are very large indeed, which I think is probably a good guide as to how a DIY effort would end up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
yeah compared to a real subwoofer there is no comparison. I talked to bose once and they would never call there's a subwoofer. So at least there being honest. One guy even told me the frequencies produced from there cubes can make you feel fatigued? He worked at best buy, Not so sure if that's true but sounded kinda funny.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think Bose instruct their reps on this, as I've noticed it from every Bose dealer. The small cubes are IMO more like tweeters that go lower than normal. With a Bose system you basically get a system of 5 speakers with the bass driver removed, and a pseudo mid tweeter combined into one for minimisation. Then a mid/bass driver placed inside a cabinet of unusual design so it goes pretty low and you only need one.

Personally, I think they ask a bit much of the systems for them to be any more of a lifestyle choice, but then thats exactly where they aim their product. I dont think Bose products are bad, I just think they are for people that dont really get overly critical about their systems, and can afford the premium.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I had he single cubes and sub in my bedroom with a cheap sony receiver. I think it was the Acoustimass 6.

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertainment/home-cinema/speaker-systems/AM6/index.jsp

I have to say it was pretty awful to say the least. I personally don't like the sound of bose. My friend had one of the lifestyle systems and while the surround effects were great the bass from the module wasn't. And when you think how much they bang them out for. Ouch! The design of it looks pretty good and something like that with 2 15's would I am sure sound awesome.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just got the finish more or less complete. All I need to do now is fit the driver, amp, acoustic wadding, and test the baby. Pic below, I'll add one of the complete cab later. Pic is re-scaled so doesnt look quite as good as it should.

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
And here is the final completed sub, one AV15-X DF 500, catchy model number I think :D. All I need to do now is test it and delivery it to its new owner tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Dan,

Looks the dogs mate. Really good work there mate. Did you do it or was it done by someone you know. Really impressive!

Boy! is he going to be pleased when he gets it in his living room eh.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cheers guys, glad you approve of it.

Graham, I did pretty much all the work apart from the actual spraying of the cab, which I had a friend do. Its by no means perfect, but I'm quite happy with the end product, especially for a first effort.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Well done anyway matey. I am still mulling over what to do with mine. I think they are too big to make gloss black as they would probably stick out too much. My other problem I have stumbled on is if I eventually move my living room around which I will at some point, I would maybe need to build a different sub/s or maybe make a large and long sub which would be about 80" long by 22" by 24" with drivers facing forward or firing out the sides. This is why I am holding back on veneering at the moment.

I will probably end up turning the garage into a museum of sub enclosures. LOL.

Just out of interest what do you think the cost would be to make my two subs in gloss black?

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you do all the prep work yourself, and get it bang on, then probably about £100 tops. Its got to be spot on though or your opening a can of worms. If you dont get it right you have to start again. I'm still not 100% happy with mine but its taken long enough to get it complete and its pretty decent now.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I love that finished product. Gloss black with silver spikes is a nice touch. where do you get your feet from? I've been getting my speaker building accessories from partsexpress. Just wondering if there was a cheaper place by chance. Good work man.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm based in the UK so probably not any use to you, but I got them from an online store, but there are other places like e-bay thats always worth checking out.

Cheers for the comment man.

·
Registered
20 Posts
do you have the link to the site you got the spikes from? need to order the little bit for my sub soon and like the look of the spikes you used.

how much would you charge for a box build like that all in shipped? or just a baffle? just been pricing up tools costs almost as much as my sub!!

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Where are you from Stuman? I am in the UK so not sure how applicable anything I use is to you.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts