Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW... during the holiday season I took advantage of the sale XTZ was running and picked up some 93.21 bookshelf speakers. Since the 93 series doesn't have a dedicated center I'm using one horizontally. For the price they're really very nice speakers, with a lot of detail and presence. Cabinets are rock solid and the paint finish is gorgeous.

For anyone looking to buy speakers that are as easy on the eyes as they are the ears (and wallet) you should consider XTZ. For me the 93.21's are definitely worth the money.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't imagine you'll see that come to fruition; as a matter of course, I'm reluctant to write an evaluation on anything I personally own because I don't want it to appear as though I'm showing favoritism. However, I might review other XTZ speakers/subwoofers in the future. ;)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
FWIW... during the holiday season I took advantage of the sale XTZ was running and picked up some 93.21 bookshelf speakers. Since the 93 series doesn't have a dedicated center I'm using one horizontally. For the price they're really very nice speakers, with a lot of detail and presence. Cabinets are rock solid and the paint finish is gorgeous.

For anyone looking to buy speakers that are as easy on the eyes as they are the ears (and wallet) you should consider XTZ. For me the 93.21's are definitely worth the money.
Nice to hear that you are pleased with the speakers!

The 93-series does have a dedicated center, the 93.22. It's a combination of bookshelf and center speaker. But of course it works great just placing a 93.21 horizontally due to the soft dome tweeter.

BR,
Joel

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to hear that you are pleased with the speakers!
This is actually the 2nd XTZ product I've owned. The first was a W12.16 that Olle himself sold to me. I was the first person to get anything from the new USA distribution center when it was opened a few years back.

The 93-series does have a dedicated center, the 93.22. It's a combination of bookshelf and center speaker. But of course it works great just placing a 93.21 horizontally due to the soft dome tweeter.
Thank you for the clarification. I did notice the drivers in the .21 and .22 appeared to be the same, and that the cabinets were similar in size, but wasn't aware the latter was the official center for the series.

The reason I ultimately went with the .21's is due to the rear port configuration of the 22's; with the way my room is setup now that would have meant the back of the speakers were less than 1 foot from the wall, which I felt might be too close. Since the .21's have the ports on the front that problem was solved.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
This is actually the 2nd XTZ product I've owned. The first was a W12.16 that Olle himself sold to me. I was the first person to get anything from the new USA distribution center when it was opened a few years back.

Thank you for the clarification. I did notice the drivers in the .21 and .22 appeared to be the same, and that the cabinets were similar in size, but wasn't aware the latter was the official center for the series.

The reason I ultimately went with the .21's is due to the rear port configuration of the 22's; with the way my room is setup now that would have meant the back of the speakers were less than 1 foot from the wall, which I felt might be too close. Since the .21's have the ports on the front that problem was solved.
Olle have mentioned something about that. I have read your great review of the W10.16 subwoofer.

That is true, the drivers are the same. It's the cabinet that differs a bit in size and placement of ports. I feel that the .22's goes slightly deeper and has a bit fuller sound. The .21's are a great choice if you want to place them closer to the wall, as you wanted.

BR,
Joel

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a question regarding the measurements posted on the XTZ site... Are they switched?

If the 93.22 is designed more for stand mount use, and the 93.21 is better near wall... why do the measurements suggest the opposite... The 93.22 appears to be rolling off around 100Hz, and the rolloff is more gradual. The 93.21 seems to extend to around 60Hz, but has a steeper rolloff

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/speakers/93-22-mkii#

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/speakers/93-21-mkii-black#

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I have a question regarding the measurements posted on the XTZ site... Are they switched?

If the 93.22 is designed more for stand mount use, and the 93.21 is better near wall... why do the measurements suggest the opposite... The 93.22 appears to be rolling off around 100Hz, and the rolloff is more gradual. The 93.21 seems to extend to around 60Hz, but has a steeper rolloff

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/speakers/93-22-mkii#

http://www.xtzsound.com/en/products/speakers/93-21-mkii-black#
Sorry for the late reply.

They seem to be correct.

The frequency response curves available on our web site is a low resolution version of the real ones. They are suppose to show the main shape.

With a more gradual rolloff for 93.22 it has a higher -6 dB point than the steeper rolloff for 93.21. With room gain from a normal room it will play louder. The 93.21 has a more distinct resonance for the bass reflex ports and can be perceived a bit more punchy. But the 93.22 plays deeper and has a fuller sound for sure.

This is also supported by the specifications for the speakers
- 93.21: 49 [45] Hz - 25 [25] kHz, anechoic chamber [typical room]
- 93.22: 45 [40] Hz - 25 [25] kHz, anechoic chamber [typical room]

BR,
Joel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.