Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with on demand not working and assumed it was just a wonky system due to a decade old cable box technology. Then today I started having tiling and audio dropout on HD channels and intermittent loss of internet connection.

So I called Cox customer service and after more than 10 minutes on hold I went through the obvious troubleshooting tests and explanation of my system. I removed the splitter that feeds the cable modem on one side and the rest of the home on the other and still had the same problem. After some prying I was able to get out of the representative that the signal at the modem was marginal. I asked if there were other reports of service problems in the area and was told there were not. Just before midnight (Thursday @ 11:xx pm) I was told that the next appointment to get a tech out was late in the day Friday. By the time that he got the ticket into the system it became 1-3pm on Saturday. The slots for service were filling up fast but there were no reports of outages or problems in my area.

After escalating to a supervisor, I was told that it is often several days in my area to get service. If I had their phone service and had a life or death situation they might be able dispatch someone sooner. After questioning what that meant, I was told that there really was not much that would constitute a life or death matter.

These are the facts of my conversation with Cox tonight. We will see when and how the problem is actually solved. Draw your own conclusions about the quality of this service. My opinion is that I am less than impressed at this point, particularly when I consider the amount of money I spend with them each month.

Any preferences for satellite service these days? What are you all using and how satisfied are you with the service from Dish and DirectTV? I have an antenna in the attic that I think I will be connecting and as much as I don't want to, I think I may have to talk to AT&T about internet service.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Cable companies have become monopolies in my area and the threat of switching doesn't seem to faze them at all. The area (Gladstone, MO) I live in is up next for Google Fiber install and as soon as it's available that's what I'll have. In my opinion cable and satellite will be quickly surpassed by the service Google is going to provide.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble, I had the same type of problem with my old cable company and after getting nowhere with them I switched to Dish network. I can only speak for myself but Dish has been great. I have been a happy customer for 8 years now. Many people say that satellite has lots of problems when the weather is bad but unless we have very severe thunderstorms I have no trouble at all and when it happens it is usually just for a moment or two and that is it. Recently when Dish offered the Hopper free to new customers I called to voice my opinion on why these companies seem to penalize the customers that have been with them for years. Well I was surprised when the Dish rep said that my commitment had ended and I was now a month to month customer and if I wanted to renew my 2 year commitment he would give me the Hopper and 2 Joey's free including free installation. They sent the installer out the next day and I was very pleased. The Hopper is a standard size receiver but the Joey's are so small they only take up about a third of the space that my other receivers did and I like that. I know they got me for 2 more years but I had no plans on switching anyway. I guess what I am trying to say is the Dish rep could have just said "sorry" and hung up the phone but he did what he could to make me happy and it also lowered my bill by 2 bucks a month, I like that too......:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Cable companies have become monopolies in my area and the threat of switching doesn't seem to faze them at all. The area (Gladstone, MO) I live in is up next for Google Fiber install and as soon as it's available that's what I'll have. In my opinion cable and satellite will be quickly surpassed by the service Google is going to provide.
Some friends that have Fiber complain that the service drops out worse than what they had before. I'm very happy with Uverse. A neighbor runs a business from home and had connection issues. AT&T trucks were up and down the street for several days until they had it fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Some friends that have Fiber complain that the service drops out worse than what they had before. I'm very happy with Uverse. A neighbor runs a business from home and had connection issues. AT&T trucks were up and down the street for several days until they had it fixed.
If you check the waiting list for Google Fiber it would appear to me that many people in the area are not happy with their service providers. With any new technology one can expect glitches in the early stages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts