Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post here on the forum or any forum for that matter!

Anyways, I'd like someone to chime in regarding the following questions. I will be using the room to mix mostly but of course enjoy listening to some tunes as well.

1. When measuring the rooms FR, does the software take into account the response of the measurement microphone?

Obviously they are not entirely flat and have their own peaks and nulls of around 10 dB or more it seems as evidenced by the article on RealTraps regarding measurement microphones. How does one go about extrapolating the information of these measurements. How would I know whether or not the null I'm seeing is not one of the mic, should I measure the mic? This is more likely compounded even further when measuring Impulse and step responses no?

2. I have yet to actually use the software myself and would like to know before purchasing a mic if there are any particularly suited towards measurement of the rooms RT60? More like RT30 in my case as there are significant sources of outside noise.

3. My room dimensions are 21.2' x 15.1' x 8', symmetry in the listening position is unfeasibly accomplished. There is terrible flutter echo, where can I find an extensive read of reducing the decay time of a room and nullifying the fluter echo..the ceiling is my main issue, clapping sounds more sustained when above ones head than near the floor.

4. I've been reading the Phillip Newell's, and currently searching for some sealed boxes. My only experience with one is an old pioneer's with a 10inch woofer that I got from good will and even that thing is revealing in terms of the interactive phases of layered percussion sounds within a mix. I frequently use it as a mono check as I only have one.

Will ABlueSky System be my best bet, currently use my girlfriends genelec 6010a's which I find horribly fatiguing for a multitude of reasons. My dream setup is a pair of Barefoot MM12's and maybe a lipinski 707a in the middle for mono check.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to speaking with you all.

Stefan

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just been trying to get a sensible measurement of acoustics in my room.
I've tried 3 Windows software programs: REW / ARTA / TrueRTA and the problem I have with all of them is that the amount of internal noise generated by the laptop spoils any accurate readings. Yes you do need a decent microphone, but you also need a better means to capture the sound than a standard PC or laptop microphone socket, and to be fair most of the software above does suggest as such.
For myself I don't think I can be bothered to pay out for an external sound capture card but I think you should budget for one.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
1. When measuring the rooms FR, does the software take into account the response of the measurement microphone?
Yes, if you supply it with a calibration file. Mics can have peaks (usually fairly broad) in their responses at high frequencies but they don't have nulls.

2. I have yet to actually use the software myself and would like to know before purchasing a mic if there are any particularly suited towards measurement of the rooms RT60? More like RT30 in my case as there are significant sources of outside noise.
RT60 is no more difficult to measure than anything else, everything comes from the impulse response. USB measurement mics like the UMIK-1 work well and most come with calibration files.

3. My room dimensions are 21.2' x 15.1' x 8', symmetry in the listening position is unfeasibly accomplished. There is terrible flutter echo, where can I find an extensive read of reducing the decay time of a room and nullifying the fluter echo..the ceiling is my main issue, clapping sounds more sustained when above ones head than near the floor.
Wrong part of the forum for that really, try the Home Audio Acoustics section.

4. I've been reading the Phillip Newell's, and currently searching for some sealed boxes. My only experience with one is an old pioneer's with a 10inch woofer that I got from good will and even that thing is revealing in terms of the interactive phases of layered percussion sounds within a mix. I frequently use it as a mono check as I only have one.

Will ABlueSky System be my best bet, currently use my girlfriends genelec 6010a's which I find horribly fatiguing for a multitude of reasons. My dream setup is a pair of Barefoot MM12's and maybe a lipinski 707a in the middle for mono check.
Again not really for here, try Home Audio Speakers.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
the problem I have with all of them is that the amount of internal noise generated by the laptop spoils any accurate readings. Yes you do need a decent microphone, but you also need a better means to capture the sound than a standard PC or laptop microphone socket
A built-in laptop mic is no good at all for measurement, but a laptop or PC soundcard is fine as long as it has a line input and you have a line level source to feed into it (an SPL meter if measuring low frequencies only, or a mic & preamp if measuring full range). A USB mic is typically the least hassle though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts