Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gals)! Its been a while, along while since I last posted. I was hot to finish my HT room back in January but hit a snag and put the whole thing on hold til now. Back then I started a great thread about the Onkyo 876. Great because of all the wonderful responses. But I have to ask: Did I step back into the right world? Back in January the unit was selling for $1000 and the price was dropping....like prices often do in this ultra competitve space. Imagine my utter shock 90 seconds ago when I saw the thing listed for $1700:hissyfit:.

I called Crutchfield's and the guy confirmed a pricing change on this a few months ago. What gives?
$1700 is nuts to me. What else should I consider for $1000 or less? Thanks!!!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I noticed the same thing a little while back. Here are a few places that have them a bit lower.

I feel like I stole mine. :blink:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Amazon was just selling it a couple days ago for $750.....for about 12 hours. Onkyo had a large price increase on their receivers in the US at the start of the new year because the dollar was quite weak - it was a pretty big jump though.

For a little under $1000, I'd pick up a Yamaha RX-V3800. They've earned my trust for receivers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Onkyo's "bang for buck" margin is being lost with that kind of price increase. I payed $700US for my 805 when it was still only out for a few months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still can't understand how a company can decide to jack up their prices to the tune of almost 75%. Isnt new technology supposed to be driving down prices. Currencies alone are not the culprit, I can assure you. Did they mis-price it? Was it a teaser/intro price. This is sooo strange to me. The projector I bout a year + ago has already dropped a bunch as have most tech items.

Very odd.

Any other thoughts on receivers for $1000 or less other than the Yamaha which I will now take a close look at

thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Is there a reason you are looking at the 876? the NR906 is available for $1300 used here in our store and is an even better receiver IMOP.
Your other option is the 806 here for under $700

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just thought the 876 was the best buy for under $1000 back in January. My budget is $1000. I am looking for the best bang for the buck....like everyone else, I suppose
thankls

·
Registered
200 Posts
yes the 876 was a great value, but it seems like Onkyo doesn't care to be known anymore for their great value. Maybe the whole Onkyo line was a lost leader or something and now they need to recoup their costs? Maybe they think the economy is restored and everybody is going back to their carefree ways? Kind of strange.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am actually seeing these for very cheap on the used market. I was considering selling mine for $1000 and see now that is too much. There are a couple over at AVS for $825 and $900.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts