Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fronts are Warfdales and I would like to wall mount the two surrounds. The sofa is against the wall I would mount on so they need to be forward and side firing I would think? Driving them will be a Denon 2808 in a 15X26 room.
Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I guess what I mean is a good kit or plan for a set of rears. I think DYI is the way to go as it is a unique application and that is one of the things DYI is all about. I am thinking it would have a forward driver and a side-firing driver dedicated to right and left as the sofa is on the 15ft. wall. 110-Watt amp. Audyssey correction,matching Mirage subs on front. A cabinet with a flat front with a 30 to 45% cut on each side with drivers that have a center mounted tweeter small and efficient. Just my thoughts, and I have never built a speaker before so maybe I am way off base? Let me know.
Front and center channel specs.
Nominal impedance 6 ohm (suitable for 8 ohm amplifier)
Sensitivity (for 2.83v at 1m) 90dB
Frequency range at -6dB: 75Hz to 29kHz
Crossover frequencies at 2kHz and 7kHz
They have a rear loaded tweeter, and a rear loaded mid horn, with Dual 6.5” polycarbonate laminate bass drivers, all in each of the 3 cabinets.
Your input is as always appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a good looking speaker! It's close to the shape of what I had in mind. I caught your building thread and will study it. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw these and believe I have found the style and form :help:shape I want. Anyone with any good ideas of where I should start in order to build a set?

QS8 v2 Surround Speakers

Specs QS8
Enclosure: Acoustic Suspension
Max Amp Power: 400 Watts
Min Amp Power: 10 Watts
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 95 - 22 kHz
Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz): 65 - 22 kHz
Impedance (Ohms): 6 Ohms
SPL in Room1w/1m(dB): 95 dB
SPL Anechoic 1w/1m(dB): 91 dB
X-Over 2.5 kHz
Tweeter: Dual 1"
Woofer: Dual 5.25"
Sub Woofer: -
Dimens. H W D (inches): 8.25" x 11" x 6"
Dimens. H W D (mm): 210 x 280 x 152
Weight (lbs) each 13.5 lbs
Weight (kg) each 6.123 kg

Twin Titanium Tweeters

Dual Aluminum Woofers, top and bottom

Anti-Standing-Wave Cabinets

Quadpolar Technology

24 karat 5-way gold-plated binding posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
You saw them where?

Judging by your description, the only place to start building a set would be at the manufacturer's employment office. This does not appear to be a DIY loudspeaker...

Frank

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Axiom on the web. They are a ID company. I just thought I could take there shape and incorperate my own selection of drivers? It's just an idea but gosh where do you start?:huh:

·
Registered
302 Posts
If this is what you're looking for, I can only suggest you reconsider.

Bipole/dipole designs like this are poor performers in surround applications. Think about the way those two drivers will interact in the seating area. If wired bipole (in phase), you have interferenece patterns in the seating area at each point that's 1/2 wave farther from one driver. If wired out of phase, dipole, you have a big null at any spot that's equidistant from the drivers.

I'm just finishing a set of surrounds for a similar-sized room using Vifa TC14wg and D25ag components. It's a simple MT in a 0.25 cu ft box with small drivers that give wide dispersion to minimize frequency response variation in the seating area. I'll let you know how it works.

HAve fun,
frank

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please do Fbov, I look foward to it. I just thought the form factor fit my situation on those as the sofa is against the wall with the speakers. I currently am using a pair of high end Polk outdoor 2way speakers each slanted in 30% and then facing down 90%. There has to be a better way!:gah: Iam pretty certain I am not the only one with this sort of problem and I cannot gracefully put in celing speakers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Paradigm's ADP's (adapted dipoles) work slightly differently, they do generate a diffuse soundfield but reduce the center "null" considerably by using the mid-bass drivers in phase. They call it an advanced crossover design, but it is merely that they wire the tweeters out of phase with each other, but one mid-bass is wired in phase with the other.

A side benefit is more usable low frequency extension.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about the form factor on a pair of these? Har to build? Definitive Technology BPVX

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've built the Madisound Recession Buster in a sealed, rectangular 0.25 cu ft box. Right now, they're set up as mains and work nicely, so I'm sure they'll make good surrounds. The XO is an in-wall design (no BSC) and would sound fine in a corner surround application. You could build a corner box with an angled baffle.
Frank

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that info! Do I just go to Madinsound and look it up? I am new at the DYI but not scared to try. Any hints or upgrades to that kit you can suggest?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've built the Madisound Recession Buster in a sealed, rectangular 0.25 cu ft box. Right now, they're set up as mains and work nicely, so I'm sure they'll make good surrounds. The XO is an in-wall design (no BSC) and would sound fine in a corner surround application. You could build a corner box with an angled baffle.
Frank
Hey I looked that one up and the price is RIGHT ON:clap:If I kept the sealed incloser volume to specs but did it with the drivers facing a right and left config with the box tapering back to the wall?:dontknow: Would it still perform?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The only performance issues are design related; driver size limits how loud they can play and the crossover design results in poor bass in free-standing applications. However, surrounds don't normally play as loud and they're normally wall mounted, so one could reasonably describe these as "designed" for surround use. They seem a little bright perhaps, and there is a 1.5dB rise in output above 10KHz in my simulations, but I also find that attractive in a surround, especially in my well-cluttered listening space and with my aging ears.

At $100 for the pair, it's hard to beat.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
343 Posts
if a common midbase chamber run in bi-pole, they would prolly work, but if used di-pole, there would be no bass what-so-ever - plus you might risk hitting the excursion limits due to one driver always pushing the other driver and vice-cersa.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So both sharing the same chamber/box. Kept to sq ft. specs. If you can picture? A ramp to jump a motercycle??? Jump side flat to wall and ramp running to wall. Right and Left dedicated--why? because the tweeters are on top and off center? To the outside or inside on top? Outside I would think. What do you all think? Would this be better than my Polk Aturim 45s?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fbov how do you think the Madisound Recession Buster is a good project for someone who has never built a speaker before? I've looked at their website and for just a little over a 100 bucks it seems like a great deal.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts