Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm pretty new at buying home theatre systems, but I do the best by researching. I have confirmed my choice in buying the Harmon Kardon HKTS60 and originally looked on this site to see if the Pioneer VSX-1020-K was going to be good receiver for it. I wanted to know if that receiver would be the best overall for the money and features. I will not be getting a 3D TV so I will not need the 3D audio input. Just wanted to know if the VSX-1020 will have the power in order to get good quality out of the speakers and sub. I want to know anybody's opinion on how this system will sound and if the receiver is good enough. :yikes:

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HTS. After looking at your Speaker Package, it appears that the Speakers are 86db Efficient which is a bit lower than average. They are however rated at 8 Ohms which means they should not be very taxing on the partnering AVR in that respect. However, you will have to raise the Volume and raise the Speaker Levels higher than more efficient Speakers like Klipsch.

What is the maximum amount you feel comfortable spending? I might steer clear of the Pioneer as when the VSX-1019 was Bench Tested, it only output 28.7 Watts into 5 Channels when Reviewed by Home Theater Magazine.
Cheers,
JJ
'

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Okay. So wat receiver do u suggest? A yamaha or denon?
Hello,
It you could possibly give a rough estimate of what you feel comfortable spending, it would make it much easier to provide you with options.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm planning to build a quality home theatre system with about 1,200, give or take. I have infinity speakers in my car and like infinity as a quality brand for the prize. I also saw that the Harmon Kardon HKTS 60 got rated very good. On Amazon it is about $818. Before finding about the HKTS 60 I was looking into the TSS-1200. On Amazon it was running for $500 and I really liked the styling of it for the room I'm planning to have it in. I'm also planning to include the pair of stands for either system. Is the HKTS 60 with CMMD technology worth the extra $300 over the TSS-1200?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am looking for a system that will be small enough to not overwhelm the room, unless the towers look really stylish. I have a wife that wants a stylish system that won't clash with the room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Basically looking for a quality yet stylish system that will keep me and the wife happy. Looking to buy just the speakers, sub, satelite stands, and the receiver.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The Ininity Primus Speakers have garnered excellent Reviews and many here use them. The Monitor Sized P162 costs 84.99 Each on sale:http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P162BG/Infinity-Primus-P162-Black-grille.html?tp=186

Add the matching Center Channel (a newer Model, but still huge savings):http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-PC350-Center-Individually/dp/B000M687JI

For a Subwoofer, the Dayton Sub120 is an amazing value and countless folks have chosen it: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-SUB-120-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000C9NV78

So for around 650 Dollars you would have a more capable Speaker System for about 200 Dollars less.

For an AVR, I would seriously consider the Yamaha Avantage RX-A800 from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115274
Note this product comes with a 250 Dollar Promotional Gift until the 19th. Yamaha's Avantage Line really has been a major upgrade in my opinion and they really seem to be building trouble free AVR's.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
okay. I appreciate the help. But I narrowed my options down to the Infinity TSS-1200 or the Harmon Kardon HTKS 60. I really like the MMD and CMMD technology that both have and want a clean, clear, crisp system. Want to know if the HTKS 60 is worth the extra $300 or so over the TSS-1200. Both will complement my interior and not take up much space. And also, which receiver would be the best, but not in the $700 range. I really like the pioneer receiver and if I went with the TSS-1200 would a VSX-1020 work for it? and if I went with the HTKS 60 would a Pioneer Elite Receiver work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am pretty sure I will be buying Infinity TSS-1200 total speaker solution set. The price on Amazon is hard to pass up for me. It was originally a debate between the HKTS 60QB for an extra $300, but with a more limited budget I will be sticking with the TSS-1200. I really am digging Pioneer Elite Receivers and would probably buy one, but am new at home theatre systems and matching the right power with the right receiver that will bring out the best possible quality from the speakers and sub. I know that Yamaha and Denon and Onkyo are other great receiver brands but just the styling and name of Pioneer Elite I am liking the most. Looks matter a lot to my significant other and me. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Pioneer makes excellent AVR's and I too am a big fan of their Industrial Design. I would also look at last years Models as the HDMI spec (1.4) has not changed and you should be able to get more AVR for your money.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

My first post here. I've made my decision to get the HKTS 60 after weeks of thinking. It looks great and got really good reviews. It's a must buy as my first home theater system.

I've also been looking into getting a receiver that matches the systems quality. The Denon AVR-1912 looks good and seems to be a good option for me, with the 3D, network options etcetera. My problem is I'm no technical genious and I can't figure out what all the specs means and how they compares to each other.
Anyone with a bit more knowledge who can tell me if the 1912 will do the HKTS 60 justice? I live in an apartment and most of the time I'm not able to play the system (mostly music, but also film) at the higher volumes. I need a receiver that can bring out the great sound from the HKTS 60 at lower volume levels. I'm no audiophile and I can't really hear what's good and what's bad, to be honest, but since I'm buying this system I would like it to sound as good as possible when I'm using it. My budget is at 750 USD.

The Denon AVR 1912 with detailed specs:
http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=AVReceivers&ProductId=AVR1912

HKTS 60 specs sheet:
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page2/B00413OXLO_SpecSheet.pdf

Regards,
Flaxet

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to all of you for a very usefull thread about HKTS 60's.
Got one question (hope some of you can answer): I've got a Yamaha RX-V367 reciever (not the best I know but it does have surround) and was thinking of buying a set of HKTS 20 or HKTS 30. But all the talk about HKTS 60 really got me thinking.
Is there any chance my reciver can take advantage of the HKTS 60, or is it complete overkill?
(I'm not an audiophile but I like listening to music and enjoy good movies.)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts