Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please allow me to introduce myself…..
I know I’ve heard that line somewhere before, But I digress my name Brian Saunders (some how in setting up, I dropped the “n” so you might know me as jbsauders) from the other L.A. also known as hollyweard. That’s right I’m one of those, sort of. Now you might not have heard this but its true, working in Hollywood is like working in a bowl of granola, what aint fruits and nuts is flakes. But then there’s always’ exceptions to the rule and that’s me.
Anywho, my interest in this kinda stuff started a few years back when my big brother brought home a Marantz 4400 and four JBL L100’s and stuck them in the bedroom that we got to share. Loud and from all directions how cool is that. I have always been somewhat mechanical and liked working wood. A friend approached me to help with a cabinet for a design he was working on. So we built two sets, one for me. These suckers were monsters, about eight cubic feet if I remember correctly. They were ported in back with the opening at top. Midway back, the sides tapered in at a 45 degree angle so as to go into the corner of a room. Oh yea that was about 1973-74. We used Electro voice drivers, top to bottom, ST350 tweeter (the old baby cheeks) 8HD horn w/ 1824m driver and an evm12L. I still have and use those drivers for my left and rights. A few years back an installer friend turned me on to this startup co. that was in the neighborhood distributing high end boutique audio equipment. Their name, EMOTIVA, can you say av123. So we got their flagship pre/pro and amp setup. The DCM-1 and the MPS-1 is what I’m listening to as we write. With seven channels at my disposal, I decided to try actively crossing over my fronts. Not knowing any better I went with a Rain, I mean Rane. And for what seems like forever, as much as my audio goes, that was my system.
As for video, I’m typing this up on my home theater computer, hooked up to a Mitsubishi 73” CRT. Old school you know, I spent far too many hours getting the lighting right. So the movie would look pretty. I can’t bring myself to watching what is limited viewing time, on an oversized computer monitor. I also have a marquee 9500 awaiting the day when this 73” is to small.
Now for what brings me this way. Wanting something more w/ my sound system I stumbled onto miniDSP and REW thanks Sonnie. I no longer own a Rane but I do own two 2X4’s. Thinking it would be cool to build new cabinets for my fronts and make them fully active.
opps got to cut it short, Wife just informed me it was a bit late if we were getting up for first service, so till we meet again.
Brian

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HTS.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis