Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a speaker package from the now defunct manufacture AV123...

All from their signature line:

Onix Rocket
RS1000 (pair)
RSC200
RS250 MK II (pair)

They are not in perfect shape, just some cosmetic stuff. Would you pay $1000 for this 5 speaker package???? (No tax no shipping)

Here is some basic info on the models:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30953178/Www-av123-Com-Rocket-Loudspeaker-Family-Comparison

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Dave just sold his Onix for $1300 for the 5.1.

2 x AV123 RS550
1 x AV123 RSC200
2 x AV123 ELT525
1 x AV123 MFW-15 Subwoofer

I would say it would be a great deal depending on the condition of the speakers. If they are minor blemishes then you should probably jump on them. My neighbor actually picked up Dave's set and they sound great!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
That certainly seems like a fairly good deal. What I would be worried about is Post Sales Support. Things like needing a new Tweeter, Woofer, etc.. I am not sure if this deal is from the Company as I have not been following them for some time, but if so, I would purchase backup Speaker Parts.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both, Im really tempted. Ive not looked closely at them yet but I did notice one of the towers had a nice scratch on the side. Post sales support would be non-existent, these are from a private owner who is going through a divorce and is being forced to reduce all assets. He sold me his Marantz 8002 for $700 which I would likely have to drag back across town to do some listening tests.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
That speaker package is definitely worth $1k, provided that everything works. Check the RS1000's woofer amps.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, read lots of horror stories of them amps burning-up prematurely, especially in the non-signature line. Luckily it looks like the drivers are still available from a guy in Canada if I find the need. Looking like a better and better deal, totally not in the budget tho.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For a grand for the whole package I'd definitely go for it. If the amp on the sub blows, just get another, they're not that expensive.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Bash 500W or 300W has been suggested in the past as a drop in replacement.

Some people run the RS1000 crossed over above 80 Hz only, with the amp off. If you have, or plan to acquire subwoofers, you will be fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont believe anyone in Canada has replacement drivers??

I do have some woofers for both the RS850/1000's and also the woofers for the RSC200, Tweeters for them are no problem.

Yep, read lots of horror stories of them amps burning-up prematurely, especially in the non-signature line. Luckily it looks like the drivers are still available from a guy in Canada if I find the need. Looking like a better and better deal, totally not in the budget tho.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated. Nice to know parts are readily available. Hopefully I get a chance to take a closer look at them soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am still running 750 sigs (four) and a 200 first purchased a decade ago. They are still running strong although I do wonder what I'd replace them with if I ever had budget again (I got them before my house...and kids...and, you get the idea).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes I would pay $1000 for them. They are great sounding speakers and even though the company no longer exists you can still get parts and with the exception of the amp failing, speakers are very reliable as long as they are used properly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
:devil: just do it!!!:devil:
I will 2nd that one :yay:

They are still very good speakers with incredible finishes.

I dont remember hearing much about the RS1000's amps going bad, there have been a few failures, but nothing any other manufacturer hasnt seen and nothing like the MFW debacle :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
It is always fun upgrading Speakers. Moreover, I would guess that there will be an Online Company that will offer AV123 Replacement Parts as I do not think they Designed their own Drivers or even worked with Companies like Vifa, ScanSoeak, Focal, etc to have them make Custom Designed Drivers as some Speaker Manufacturers do.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its looking like tomorrow before Ill get a chance to look them over, seller is currently living in Orlando and only travels to the area for family. Is the fact that the speakers are being stored in a non climate-controlled environment (and have been for a while I suspect) cause for concern? Obviously, being Florida, it gets pretty hot and humid here so thought Id ask.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would be more concerned if they were kept in a very dry climate as it could dry out the wood.

Just take a look at the veneer, you will more than likely find a few raised areas that are from nails under the veneer. I would say at this point they wont get any worse, I know mine havent. Also some very minor cracking the the finish is to be expected as they are not plastic, again most of this happens in the first year or so and really doesnt continue to get worse. What you see is what you will have at this point.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks much. I found the manufacture's cleaning instructions unusual: Wood can be cleaned with a soft cloth moistened with water, end caps can be polished with standard automotive carnauba-based wax.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Its looking like tomorrow before Ill get a chance to look them over, seller is currently living in Orlando and only travels to the area for family. Is the fact that the speakers are being stored in a non climate-controlled environment (and have been for a while I suspect) cause for concern? Obviously, being Florida, it gets pretty hot and humid here so thought Id ask.
Hello,
That definitely is not ideal. With this being the case, it really would be ideal to hook up the Speakers before agreeing to purchase them. As it never leaves the 90's during the day and usually around 80 at night in the Summer and in the Winter is usually quite dry and not Humid, I would be somewhat hesitant depending on how long they have been in storage.

Fact is you already have some very nice Speakers. And now you are considering Speakers from a now defunct Company that left a trail of scams and QC issues with the Subwoofer in its wake.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 20 of 39 Posts