Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :wave:

I have been doing a lot more driving lately than in the past and have decided that is was time to add a little bottom end into my car. The car is a 2006 RAV4, so far i have replaced the factory head unit with a cheap Pioneer DEH 2050 in order to get an Aux input and also pre outs for the subwoofer amplifier :T

Most of the work has all ready been done and i will post pictures ASAP. I decided to replace the factory headunit becasue of a lack of preouts, it ment giving up the steering wheel volume control but whatever. The headunit was a pain due to Toyota's idea of wiring (rear speakers were Red, Black, yellow and white while power was Brown, Blue with grey for ignition :wits-end:). The amplifier im using is one of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595 and currenty a cheap 8 Inch driver. The problem is that the 8 cannot provide the levels that i want when driving with friends in the car and during heated listening sessions. Quiet a few times i have had to back it off due to the dreaded burn speaker smell... The 8 is in a 35L enclosure tuned at 35hz and to be honest it sounds really good but not loud enough. The driver is only rated for 100 Watts RMS and 5mm Xmax :rofl: Then i had an idea

I have two old drivers laying around that were going in a HT project eventually which i have figured i may as well use in the car. They are these http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/driver-CS-2345.htm so this is going to be a build log for the box construction

Like i said ill post photos of the amplifer later along with build photos for the new box :T

Here is one of the 15's next to the 8 when it was in my room

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really only have roughly 120L to work with so i tossed up using both sealed or one vented with the other as a spare incase i destroy the first :bigsmile: However i decided on using both in a 110L sealed enclosure with 600 watts power :yay: Alhough the F3 is quite high at 50Hz with cabin gain the response should be fairly good down into the 20's.

I have the wood as of yesterday and will be building the box this weekend :yay:

Happy New Years all :clap:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had some time of work on sunday to get this little project finished, starting at 8am and working through till about 7pm including a three hours lunch break i managed to finish the box :yay: It hasnt been sanded yet and it needs a little work still but its in the car and running and thats all that really matters to me.

Here is a before photo with the little 8Inch in the back, this has been a great sub for me, my first ever DIY subwoofer with a $40 Jaycar driver in a vented 35L box tuned at about 35Hz. By no means a great sub but it was my first ever box and has served well in the bedroom, then in the HT and finally in the car. The only reason for its replacement was very little bottom end and more than once i have had to back it off in the car due to the burning glue smell

I had two sub sitting waiting to be used for the Ht but the specs are not the best with only 15mm Xmax (and noisy above 12mm according to Collo) you can find out more about these drivers here http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/driver-CS-2345.htm a big thanks goes to a fellow australian Collo for this information :T

It all started with these two sheets of wood, 18mm MDF 1200mm by 900mm sheets so i could fit them in the car, if worked out very well becasue there was virtually no offcuts at the end of the day...

I cut the wood with a circular saw by hand using a little DIY jig which was clamped to the work bench, for the most part the cuts were good to within less than 1mm. It only too about an hour to mark up and cut the sheets up... There were 7 pieces in total

Now the fun part... NOT, i had to borrow a router and the bit was a little blunt to it took 4 passes each hole to get through the MDF :sarcastic: It was a slow and messy job to router the two baffles, probably should have gone a brought a new bit :duh:

It was worth it though, the cuts were really good, much better than a jigsaw like i used for my last box...

Once all the cutting was done i stoped for lunch :whew: It was a hot day and in the iorn shead the temperature would probably have been about 40c which is fairly warm. The next step was to start drilling the pilot holes and then glue and screw the box together :T

I decided to use a conventional mounting terminal rather than a speakon like i had planed so it can be used in mates cars or whatever with more ease...

I left the baffle for last, i used 50mm screws to go through both baffles (double 18mm) into the walls, i only used one brace in the center of the box too, i decided that becasue the drivers are not high power and they will only get 600 watts that bracing was not really needed... This was a trial fit of the driver

It fitted together really well so the baffle was glued and everything screwed into the box... :T

Here is a before and after shot of the boot (or trunk as you yanks call it :neener:)

BEFORE

AFTER

I will post up some pictures of the headunit and amplifier later but i thought id share the bottom end construction phase :clap:

Im very happy with the end result, despite the high roll of starting at 60Hz in the car it sounds great, much more bottom end than the little 8 and it is much more controled... I think i made the right choice using both in a sealed box rather than one ported. Providing the volume is a normal levels it sounds really good. I think the next job is to hunt down the rattles which have suddenly appeared :no: I need some deadining real fast. I am really pleased with how it turned out, driving around listening to smooth Jazz or Funk it sound balanced and the bass is very smooth with good punch and weight... Yet as soon as the D&B or HipHop goes on suddenly the car is flexin and rattling its self to pieces :T

I know this is Home Theater shack but i thought id share this with you, dont get me wrong HT is simply amazing but there is something about the in your face nature of car audio that i find really fun... I am still deciding on the finish but i will probably either paint it black or ill use carpet

Big thanks goes out to dad (the random arms in the photos) for his help which proved invaluable (hes a woodworking nut) :T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Nice work... I bet she thumps now... :yes:

I would get some black trunk liner carpet and cover her up real pretty. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work... I bet she thumps now... :yes:

I would get some black trunk liner carpet and cover her up real pretty. :bigsmile:
Yeah i will sonnie, thanks for the interest... Doesnt seem to interest anyone else here but i will post more more photos when i get them :T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts