Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am in the beginning stages of my first DIY Home Theater subwoofer. I have been looking around for a driver for a week now, and I have found three that I like. I don't know what lead me to choose TC sounds, but they look like good products. I am not dead set on any one subwoofer so if there is anything else let me know.:D

2 - TC Sounds LMS-R 15"
2 - TC Sounds Axis 15Q1 Quad VC 15"
1 - TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18"

I do have a ton of questions about this project lol. I am planning on using a ported enclosure for this as well. Also if I did go with two 15" drivers would it be better to make two boxes and have them on each side of the TV? OR have one big box with dual 15's? My budget for this project is $1500 in total, and I will start a build log with my build.:T

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello all. I am in the beginning stages of my first DIY Home Theater subwoofer. I have been looking around for a driver for a week now, and I have found three that I like. I don't know what lead me to choose TC sounds, but they look like good products. I am not dead set on any one subwoofer so if there is anything else let me know.:D

2 - TC Sounds LMS-R 15"
2 - TC Sounds Axis 15Q1 Quad VC 15"
1 - TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18"

I do have a ton of questions about this project lol. I am planning on using a ported enclosure for this as well. Also if I did go with two 15" drivers would it be better to make two boxes and have them on each side of the TV? OR have one big box with dual 15's? My budget for this project is $1500 in total, and I will start a build log with my build.:T
Well, if you've looked at any of the reviews; you will definitely read how well the TC drivers perform. Most subs built with the LMS-r 15" and the Ultra have been configured in a sealed box. The reasons are that they perform well in small enclosures and many times it is more aesthetically pleasing to use a smaller box. Having dual subs, 1 on each side of the room tends to have more benefits than just one sub (if we're talking about the same driver being used).

Do you have an amplifier or amplifiers? If not, you will need to consider those as a major part of your sub build.

Take a look at the member archives to get some ideas on different builds.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok I am leaning towards dual subwoofers. I want the sound to be even throughout the space. I will be getting an amp, but I don't have one in mind yet. I have looked at the members builds, but I used the win-isd software and it recommended a ported box. Of course I could have typed the specs in wrong. If there is a better option than the TC sub that would be great. I don't really have a limit on how big each box will be. That being said, something around 2'w x 3'd x 2'h would be my max.

edited measurements.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ultimate goal is to beat an svs pb12 ultra and a JL fathom f112. That is the range I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You may consider a TC Sounds Axis 15Q1 15" w a TC Sounds VMP 18" Passive Radiator in place of a ported design..... based on limited reviews and some of my sub woofer projects , this combo will lay waist to the Fantom F112..... and the cost for the four units is right at 1600...... so its a little beyond your budget once you get the amp which would need to be on the order of something like the Crown XTi 2002, add $700....now you have a sub bass system that will move the foundation of your house up and down..... :hsd:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm I haven't really researched a passive radiator design before. One of my problems with my last subwoofer was a big dead spot in the middle of the room. This is why I am leaning towards a dual system. I am however going to research the passive radiator design a bit more.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
One review....just completed 2 new subs for my system using this radiator in conjunction with a 15" subwoofer from Exodus. 3 mass washers, 8.5 cubic foot box, 4.5 pounds of fiber-fill, and floor spikes (good thing it's concrete under the carpet!). After I got them tuned in with the system, I sat back for 3 hours listening to some of my favorite deep-impact music. It's just incredible how deep, powerful and accurate the bass is. I've spent a lot of hours listening to high-end systems, and I've never heard in-home sub woofers do what these monsters do. This was my first attempt at a passive radiator alignment, and I'm sold on the idea. The only reason I down-rate the value is that Exodus offered me their passive radiators for a lot less, but they had only the 21" size available

Really has me interested in this design

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
would the Behringer EPQ2000 be enough to drive two TC LMS-R 15's? Also is there a big diffrence between the EPQ 2000 and the EPX2000? Or would the Crown XTi 2002 be a better choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
$1500 budget will get you 2- Dayton Titanics around $500 total, 1 ep4000 around $400, wood, glue, any tools and you are under budget. In a 4.5ft3 sealed box you can use one channel for each driver.

With the LMS-R 15" you will be over budget because 2 LMSR's around $900 and then 2 ep4000's around $800. In a 3ft3 sealed box the LMS-R can take all of one ep4000 bridged.

These figures are close to msrp. Now if you can score a couple of used drivers and amps then you can reduce your cost.

Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So I can't drive 2 LMS-Rs with one EP4000? also isn't the LMS-R rated at 1000rms? I am new to this so this may be a dumb question.

edit: would the Dayton's would be a better choice?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I can't drive 2 LMS-Rs with one EP4000? also isn't the LMS-R rated at 1000rms? I am new to this so this may be a dumb question.

edit: would the Dayton's would be a better choice?
The ep4000 has been measured to put out around 650-700 watts per channel. Bridged about 1800-2000. In a sealed box around 3.2ft3, the LMS-R can take all the power from an ep4000 bridged. Just using one channel per sub is probably not letting the LMS-R perform to its full potential (not saying it can't be done). But, if your paying $400 plus for a driver you want to get the most out of the driver.

Are the Dayton's a better choice? That's for you to decide. It's your money. Two Dayton Titanics may exceed your expectations (I'm not guaranteeing it though). Are the Titanics as good as the LMS-R? Most will say no. I've never built or heard a Titanic but recently built a sealed 3.2ft3 LMS-R powered by a ep2500 and it was a very nice subwoofer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would rather have the LMS-R than the Dayton then. Am I looking at the right amp, on the behringer site it says 2 2000w at 2ohms. Or is that a peak power thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts