Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All,

Long-time customer of Kevin’s here.

I’m ~12 months behind on my ‘latest’ build (family distractions, flooded basement…etc); fortunately, the end is in sight. I certainly don’t want to spoil the surprise, but the build will include 6 Maelstroms and 3 FS1200TS’ for the bottom end:hsd:

I’ve probably shared too much already, so I shall take a step back permitting all to continue with their respective musings:innocent:

Btw – Kevin, the FS2000TX is still patiently waiting for his 21” Sicko partner in crime:whistling:

Regards,

Larry

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm still pushing on the Sicko. The cost is just way out of line with what I think I could sell them for.

Hope the basement has dried out. Get a couple sump-pumps in there and a backup generator.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Btw – Kevin, the FS2000TX is still patiently waiting for his 21” Sicko partner in crime:whistling:

Regards,

Larry
ya, what up w/that!

I'm still pushing on the Sicko. The cost is just way out of line with what I think I could sell them for.

Hope the basement has dried out. Get a couple sump-pumps in there and a backup generator.

AH YES!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The electrician left about an hour ago; he's going to call tomorrow with an estimate, and we established a tentative schedule of 12/13 to perform the install. I'm remote locating my gear in an ajoining room and we decided to go with a 100amp sub-panel for the equipment rack.

My sub cabinets are 95% complete, as cold weather is setting in, I'm going to install the drivers and paint the cabinets next spring with bed liner material. I will try and post some pics this weekend of the subs; nothing special mind you, and they'll be in a natural birch finish. Each cabinet measures 24X24X36 with dual opposed Maelstroms. Each Maelstrom will be wired in parallel and driven by a single channel of a F1200TS; my thoughts are that ideally each driver should see ~1k watts. Each F1200TS will have its own dedicated 20amp circuit.

Any thoughts as to stuffing the cabinets?

Next up is building a screen wall and equipment rack; my goal is to have everything come together by Christmas.

Larry

·
Registered
565 Posts
The electrician left about an hour ago; he's going to call tomorrow with an estimate, and we established a tentative schedule of 12/13 to perform the install. I'm remote locating my gear in an ajoining room and we decided to go with a 100amp sub-panel for the equipment rack.

Larry
Ask your electrician if he has a surge protector for your new breaker panel. Otherwise, see if he has one for your main panel. They look like a regular breaker and plug in the panel like a breaker, but they don't have the trip handles on them. If you get hit with a power surge, they will absorb the spike and sacrifice themself if the surge is substantial, thus protecting your home and gear. They are available for most panels.

Example below:

For GE panels:
SurgePro THQLSurge AC Power Surge Protector - GE PLUGIN

Plug-in design installs like a circuit breaker in your load center. (The best location for protecting AC circuits in your home.) The SurgePro AC Power Surge Suppressor safeguards sensitive electronic equipment such as computers, televisions, stereos, VCRs and other appliances with up to 27,000 amps of surge protection.

Features and Benefits
Whole house Surge Protection
CUL and UL Listed - UL1449 2nd edition
3-year warranty. Up to $25,000 on connected equipment
Plug-in design installs like a circuit breaker - providing the best protection at the source

Enjoy your new project,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,

Thanks for sharing this information; unfortunately, the electrician completed his work yesterday. My electric company has a surge protection product they’ll place outside on the meter for ~$6/month; I believe I’m going to pursue this approach as it will offer protection for the entire home.

Regards,

Larry

·
Registered
565 Posts
Larry,

That's a great idea and worth every penny. Refrigerators, ac units, appliances and of course audio equipment can be destroyed by lightning strikes, especially if they hit the secondary side of the transformer. (I'm an electrical contractor) Surges with the power grid when they switch the grid can also provide spikes and brownouts.

Take care,
Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for sharing this information; unfortunately, the electrician completed his work yesterday. My electric company has a surge protection product they’ll place outside on the meter for ~$6/month; I believe I’m going to pursue this approach as it will offer protection for the entire home.

Regards,

Larry
Larry,
that's interesting, do they offer something like a $25k policy on the connected equipement?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
This is what we have. It cost $4 per month on the meter and protects up to $1000 on anything in the home. Then we use their power strips on other things that are valued at more, such as the home theater system, which is protected up to $25K... a smaller one some other stuff protects up to $5K.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Surges with the power grid when they switch the grid can also provide spikes and brownouts.
It happens.
I've been doing transmission and sub-trans voltage switching for 19 years, I haven't cost anyone any equipment yet, but I've seen it happen.

What's more destructive is when a 115 kv (or 230 kv) transmission line falls down and lands on/faults to a 12 kv or 25 kv distribution line. It tends to make big screen tv's turn into really big screen tv's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts