Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tough one.:scared:
The PS3 plays blue ray dvd, vcd ETC ETC AND HAS hdmi 1.3 AND optical out and plays games
a good DVD player like the the Pioneer 600 plays good DVD's and upsamples etc.

Connection method is via HDMI from player to AV amp to pioneer 428 PDP.

Which way to go, PS3 or Pioneer DVD Player?:hissyfit:

Jag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If money is not a consideration the PS3. It upconverts sd DVDs and can play Bluray. Not sure why you would consider any upconverting sd DVD player other than cost.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Plus the PS3 plays SACD if anyone wants that functionality.

I agree, if it's a cost issue, then the basic upconverting player makes sense (why not an HD DVD player? They are going for a song now and up convert very well). But if you're looking at just an SDVD player that upconverts and it's the same price or close to the PS3, I personally would get the PS3. Some may disagree with that, but I think it is an excellent addition to anyone's home theater or entertainment setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, me reason is that it is future ready, or when I Blueray discs become more reasonably priced, and, I have the option to play games.. and the photo viewing capability is great and it has a hard drive built in.
All in, it is a great home entertainment centre compared to just a blue ray player.
PS3 also has HDMI 1.3 outputs.
Thanks for the thoughts. I will get a PS3 (and a few games I've had my eye on for a long time)

i just got a Pioneer 428 PDP, new AV reciever etc, so, the PS3 joins their ranks

Cheers
Jag

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Does PS3 decode all formats. I have heard it does not decode DTS HD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts