Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I logged in last night in response to an email nag that my account would be purged,
and was glad I did, because I had not before heard about this product.

Logging in again this morning, I could not find the forum,
because I expected to find it under Equalization | Calibration;
cross-posting it would seem like a good idea.

I successfully used REW and BFD in my music room, which has Altec 19s and a small sub,
but not so successfully for home theater, which has a pair of mismatched subs in left
and right front corners attached thru BFD to a Denon 5805II; this box appears to be
a better choice for that application. So, to the question:

Since the included microphones are evidently consistent enough to not need individual calibration,
has anyone obtained a calibration curve for using it with REW?

FWIW, I think the AS-EQ1 looks better with front cover removed...

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am a bit confused too, but I think I decipher that you are asking if there is a calibration file that you can use with your calibration mic provided with your receiver or either a calibration file that you can use with the mic provided with the SVS SubEQ, so that you can use that same mic to measure your response with REW.

The answer to that is no. Those mics will have calibration files built into the processing and should only be used with the units they came with. You could have one sent off for calibration, but I doubt any of the manufacturers are going to provide one.

Why not use the mic you previously used with the BFD and REW?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a bit confused too
My bad, I had intended to append to an AS-EQ1 "thread"
but got confused about new thread vs new subject,
so mistakenly created a new thread in SVSound forum, which Mike P. moved here..

but I think I decipher that you are asking if there is a calibration file that you can use with your calibration mic provided with your receiver or either a calibration file that you can use with the mic provided with the SVS SubEQ, so that you can use that same mic to measure your response with REW.

The answer to that is no. Those mics will have calibration files built into the processing and should only be used with the units they came with. You could have one sent off for calibration, but I doubt any of the manufacturers are going to provide one.

Why not use the mic you previously used with the BFD and REW?
Only because it is the usual old Realistic 33-2050;
an AS-EQ1 might be higher quality.
Further, it would eliminate one variable when comparing results with REW.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
an AS-EQ1 might be higher quality
It may be a better mic or not, but without a cal file it's not really a good choice for REW.

The Radio Shack Meter is fine for low frequency measurements under 3KHz, and we have a calibration file on our download site that renders it flat enough to be used for home use.

brucek

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yup... in your case that old Realistic is going to be your best bet. You could send either of the mics off for calibration though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts