Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I’m in the market for a new laptop – well, used actually. There are a couple that I’m looking at. Both are the same model Dell with a 250 gig HD and 4 GB RAM. The difference between them: One has a 2.93 GHz processor and is loaded with 32-bit Windows 7 Home Edition. The other has a slower processor, 2.66 GHz but has 64-bit Windows Professional. Would one of these be better than the other, and if so why? Or is it a wash?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I do have one older peripheral, an outboard Creative USB soundcard. Creative’s website lists updated drivers for Windows 7, but doesn’t specify 32- or 64-bit. So that one I’m a bit worried about. Not that it would be a big deal to have to get another soundcard…

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well, I didn’t get the 64-bit laptop because it ended up selling for more than I wanted to pay. The one I ended up with is capable enough, though – 2.93 gHz processor, 4 GB RAM and a 250 GB hard drive, but with Vista. I bought it with the intent of upgrading to Windows 7, but my licensing has expired on the 32-bit version I bought a while back (used it too many times).

So since I have to buy a new Windows 7 anyway, I want to “go all the way” and get the 64-bit version. Judging from what I see on the Windows website, it looks like my new baby has plenty of “juice” for 64-bit, but I am concerned about the video card requirement. They say I need a “DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.” I looked up my video card and it’s a “Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1).”

Am I correct in assuming that what really matters here is the “WMMD” spec, and my video card will support Windows 7 64-bit?

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts