Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went with my wife to the Edmonton Winspear theater to see the debut of a Tribute to Prince with the Edmonton symphony orchestra.
I am not a huge fan of his music but do appreciate his influence in the industry and his roots in R&B.
I was blown away by the concert!

Mackenzie Green who did vocals was absolutely perfect! and Andrew Gouché who was Prince's last bassists to play with him on tours and in the studio before his passing was also there.

I made a couple of short video recordings on my iphone so once I get them uploaded I will share them here but it was a fantastic night to say the least. Having a full orchestra backing up music like this is amazing.

more info here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/prince-tribute-band-orchestra-edmonton-winspear-1.4033474

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the video:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A little off-topic, but...
It certainly is amazing to find collaborations between symphony orchestra's and rock/pop bands. Hopefully it'll catch on. As I understand it, our nation's orchestras are endangered, so performances like this are refreshing in more ways than one. A similar collaboration between Collective Soul and The Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra happened on April 23 and 24, 2005

Track 16 from Home: A Live Concert Recording With The Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra released in February 2006.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do hope that our next generations will continue to experience this sort of enjoyment. There truly is nothing better than a live orchestra in a venue like this.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
QUOTE:
This latest incarnation was called Alan Parsons, eventually renaming as the Alan Parsons Live Project, the name distinct from "The Alan Parsons Project", due to founder Parsons' break-up with Woolfson. The band currently features lead singer P.J. Olsson, guitarist Alastair Greene, drummer Danny Thompson, keyboardist Manny Focarazzo, keyboardist Tom Brooks, bass guitarist Guy Erez, vocalist and saxophonist Todd Cooper, and guitarist and vocalist Dan Tracey. In 2013, Alan Parsons Live Project played Colombia with a full choir and orchestra (the Medellin Philharmonic) as Alan Parsons Symphonic Project. A 2-CD live set and a DVD version of this concert were released in May 2016.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I do hope that our next generations will continue to experience this sort of enjoyment. There truly is nothing better than a live orchestra in a venue like this.
Agree with the above sentiment, that is why I really like seeing children of any age at our SC Philharmonic concerts and am willing to cut them and their parents a lot of slack in regards to any expected concert "social norms".
- My parents taking my brother and I to concerts, musicals, plays, opera, and art museums as kids formed the basis of our attendance as adults.

A long-term investment is when symphonies and philharmonics go into the schools to play and expose the students to music genres they may not have heard before (except in classic Looney Tunes cartoons of course).
- School performances also support/encourage school band participation (assuming the music program has not been cut in a misguided effort to "focus" on the RRRs or STEM).

Across the country, symphonies and philharmonics are facing a tough dilemma. To build a significant following in the next generation they probably need to expand their product into more multi-media presentations, pop-classical ventures (like the Prince concert), etc. However, these are the type changes many of the 50+ year old classical series season ticket holders and financial supporters do not generally like.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts