Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a Dayton HF 12" sealed sub for HT/Music. I am trying to find the most affordable watt/dollar combo to drive it. I first thought about the Dayton 240 w plate amp, but was interested in getting something with a little more punch. I am not trying to break any windows, but I do like the idea of having something I can grow with.

What do you all think: would I be better served with a smaller plate amp, or go for a pro amp?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the power-handling spec for the driver? That can’t be overlooked. It’ll get you no advantage, for instance, by coupling a 1000-watt amp with a 200-watt driver. I’d suggest an amp with perhaps 50% more output than the driver can handle; that would ensure adequate headroom.

Regards,
Wayne
400 rms/ 700 max. I think the 240w amp would be too small, but if push come to shove, it will provide enough juice to drive the sub. I ran across the A500, which looks to be a perfect fit, but was unsure if it would be appropriate for a HT sub. Only reason I have been considering an ep1500 was because I noticed many other people using them for HT, but I would rather not have fan noise if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your input!!!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Are you considering buying the ep 1500 used? That amp has been discontinued from behringer for a while now. You could look at the ep 2000, you can get a new open box unit with full factory warranty for $249.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
OK I just called Unique Squared where I got that $249 price just to make sure the factory warranty applied to that unit and they told me they were out of stock on that unit and it has now been pulled from their website.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for bringing the ep1500 discontinued issue to my attention, no idea why I did not notice that before. The ep2000 is above the price ceiling I set for myself $200(+-). Unless it is really worth it...... What are your thoughts on the A500, I have found those new for $199. Looks great, no fan; but is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Ok I will give you my opinion but let me say this first, I have just begun building subs, my first project is a maelstrom 18" in a 24" cube enclosure using the plans from this site. I have had it up and running for only 2 days now but am VERY satisfied with the sound with no EQ. I am powering it with a Behringer ep4000 bridged (2400 watts). So as you can see I am new to this but I plan on building 3 more subs in the next couple of months 2 of which will be Dayton 12" in sonotubes (keg subs) for HT and I will be using a Behringer ep 2000 to power those. So to give you my opinion, no the a 500 is not a great choice to power the sub you are speaking of building, it will work but you will have that amp maxed out and chances of running into clipping issues are very possible. One of the other posters mentioned "head room" very good advice. And if you ever have any intention of adding another sub at some point the extra $80 for the ep 2000 over the a 500 will be money very well spent as you would be able to run 2 subs off of the ep 2000. Also you are talking about using the 8 ohm Dayton HF, you could get the 4 ohm version (same price) and get 500 watts per channel out of the ep 2000. You could just use one channel for the time being and if in the future you want to add a second sub you have the second channel of the ep 2000 to run it. Remember this is only my opinion take it for what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The problem with the A500 is that in bridged mode it will only drive an 8ohm load and only outputs 2x300 watts at 4ohms.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Good price but this amp is about the same as the a 500. It is 380 watts bridged at 8 ohms. That is even less than the a 500. Look on the parts express web site to get the specs for this amp. And look at the continuous output power not the peak power.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
PylePro is not what I would call a pro grade amp as they use fairly cheap parts and wont output as much as they say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does the ep2000 have a crossover/ high pass filter built into it or would you need to buy one before sending the power to your sub/s?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I ran across this, http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/PylePro-PT2001X-3300-watt-Professional-DJ-Power-Amplifier/3818323/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

What do you all know about the PylePro brand/amp? Would it suit my needs? Is there a significant difference between the ep2000?
As mentioned stay away from the Pyle brand.

There are always going to be trade offs with anything you do. It's best to always look down the road and make a decision based on that. There are plate amps along with lower end pro amps out there that will power the HF driver to it's potental but then you can get stuck with just one amp and one sub.

Looking into the better proven pro amp stuff and you end with many more options now, and down the road. Also, dolllar for dollar pro amps beat the pants off plate units when talking wattage per buck..

If a high pass is a concern later with a vented unit or even say a sealed one, there are some nice cheap products out their to take care of that problem. Also, if the pro amp already has a fixed hp in it, some DIY'ers already have posted mods to change or rid the amp of it.
Along with that fan mods have been layed out step by step too.

It's pretty hard to beat the power to money ratio of the Behringers...

Cheers
Geoff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts