Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In researching budget acoustically transparent screens for my upcoming theatre, I've come across Accuscreens. Their high contrast gray screens are available from Cos!co for about the same as I was expecting to DIY a finished product. These screens don't have a black backing, so to prevent shadows and/or reflected light from behind I was thinking I could add some black backing from Seymour.

I'm curious what shade of gray these screens are though? N8, N9...? An email to the company didn't yield anything definitive, so now I'm asking if anyone here can guess based on a picture on the website:
http://www.accuscreens.com/images/500x500/FixedScreen_corner.jpg

Cheers!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
You really can't get an accurate gray level or color from a photograph, especially on the internet, unless great pains are taken by the photographer; and even then what the photo looks like depends greatly on the monitor or laptop you are viewing it on (most people don't go to the expense and trouble to properly calibrate them).

Judging from the photo you liked to that gray screen would be approximately N6.6, but it would have a yellow push that may or may not be correctable by adjusting your PJ. Of course the photo exposure and colors may be off so that is only a rough guess.

I believe the Accuscreens are made by Draper.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, Harpmaker. I wasn't expecting that detailed an estimate! I was afraid the screen looked too gray for my purposes. I've never had a projector & screen and have no reference for what the various N-levels actually look like. From reading on this forum I suspect I would like an N8.5 or 9, since I will have a dedicated theatre with no windows. My understanding is this would be a good compromise to provide better blacks and/or allow watching sports, etc. with some dimmed lights on.

They also have a matte white AT screen, which I may try. I'll just have to hope whatever projector I get has good black level on its own.

Or another option is a custom Jamestown AT screen with the Centerstage XD material, but that's probably starting to pull away from DIY in the budget department. Hmmm, decisions...:scratchhead:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thanks for your input, Harpmaker. I wasn't expecting that detailed an estimate! I was afraid the screen looked too gray for my purposes.
No worries! Yeah, if the gray Accuscreen really is that dark it would be too dark for most HT settings, which kind of makes me think the screen isn't really that dark. ;) BTW, I took an average color reading from the photo using a color picker tool and then entered those RGB numbers (161, 160, 156) into OpenRGB (a free color calculator/converter). OpenRGB converts between a large number of color spaces and the L* value of the L*a*b* color space is the N level times 10. I bet you were just dying to know that right? :heehee:

I've never had a projector & screen and have no reference for what the various N-levels actually look like. From reading on this forum I suspect I would like an N8.5 or 9, since I will have a dedicated theatre with no windows. My understanding is this would be a good compromise to provide better blacks and/or allow watching sports, etc. with some dimmed lights on. They also have a matte white AT screen, which I may try. I'll just have to hope whatever projector I get has good black level on its own.
In general you are correct, but the more lumens you have (real, not the listed number) the darker a screen you can use.

Or another option is a custom Jamestown AT screen with the Centerstage XD material, but that's probably starting to pull away from DIY in the budget department. Hmmm, decisions...:scratchhead:
I didn't see any mention of AT material on Jamestown's site; will they apply another manufacturer's material to one of their frames or is this something you would do yourself?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, I took an average color reading from the photo using a color picker tool and then entered those RGB numbers (161, 160, 156) into OpenRGB (a free color calculator/converter). OpenRGB converts between a large number of color spaces and the L* value of the L*a*b* color space is the N level times 10. I bet you were just dying to know that right? :heehee:
Lol! Maybe I wasn't dying to know that, but it's kinda cool. I'll be sure to bring that up in conversation next time I'm looking to impress someone at a cocktail party! :D

I didn't see any mention of AT material on Jamestown's site; will they apply another manufacturer's material to one of their frames or is this something you would do yourself?
Apparently it's a new option. I don't think they have the size I'm likely going to need, but they do custom sizing, and I'd add the AT black backing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Projector-S...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8817543573293034049

1 - 5 of 5 Posts