Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research and reviewing the info of this amazing forum my setup is going as fast as my wallet can handle. My current gear is:

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE3000U
Screen: Elite Cinetension 120"
DVD: Sony BDP-S350
TV: Samsung Retro-Projection (for gaming and normal TV)
Receiver: Onkyo NR906
Game console: Nintendo Wii
Harmony Universal Remote Control 880
Fronts: LSi 9
Center: LSiC
Rear: LSi 7
Back: Old sony speakers (need to upgrade)
Subs: Two PSW10 (need to upgrade maybe DIY)

The LSi9 arrive yesterday to replace the LSi7. My first impression is that the Onkyo can’t support the load of the speakers. When the LSi7 where on the front the room feels more fulfill:huh:. I’m thinking in helping the Onkyo with and amp to drive the LSi9 and the LSiC. I’m not an expert in this matter so I need some suggestion to achieve the best possible sound of the speakers. I will appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I really doubt that an external amp will make any difference. The LSi7 and LSi9 are both 4 ohms, 88dB sensitivity, so they do not represent any real change.

If you need improvements, look to setup and room acoustics.

Kal

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree with Kal, The 906 wont need any help driving either of those speakers. Once you do the Auddessey setup properly (read at least 5 positions) You should hear a great deal of improvement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I run the Auddessey setup with 8 positions, but this afternoon will double check it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run the setup again and everything sounds the same. I was reviewing the speakers thread and found that new speakers need to break in, maybe this is the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What are the dimensions of your room and how do you have your speakers placed in the room?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I run the setup again and everything sounds the same. I was reviewing the speakers thread and found that new speakers need to break in, maybe this is the problem.
I doubt it.:mooooh:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
That bookshelf on the one side of the room will defiantly affect how the speakers will sound. The reflective points of that room are very high and will need some addressing for sure. do you have the speakers on stands or located in one of the shelves?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
That's part of your problem. If you bring them out and put them on stands you will notice a big difference.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There are two things about the placement that are wrong
One, the angle is too far into the center of the room. You should not need more than a 5 to 10 degree angle given the layout of your room.
Two, the edge of the bookshelf being so close to the speaker will cause imaging issues, speakers need to be free of obstructions including the sides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your suggestions tonyvdb. I was very busy making the stands for the speakers to get it out of the shelves. Also the new angle of the speakers is 10 degrees. I sending some pics of the new setup. If your have another suggestion please let me now.

New Speaker Position-1.jpg

DSC02314-1.jpg

DSC02315-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You really need some significant absorbent material on the room surfaces and bass traps. Looks like a pretty 'hard' room to me.

Kal

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kal, how can I address this issues? What do you mean with "hard"? Do REW is the tool to start?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts