Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a while back I bought a SV-12 and a 200 watt plate amp thru ACI. It was all installed into a 2 cu ft sealed box. I know not the best idea, I just didn't know any beeter at the time. Well alot has changed since then, I have upgraded just about everything but the sub. Now I would like to try a ported box. I have been thinking of going with a 6 cu ft box tuned to around 18Hz. I have Winspeakerz and Winisd and both are outputting charts that look good to me until I start adjusting the power input. The plate amp died so I am now planning on running the sub with one channel of an Adcom 555ii 325 watts into 4 ohm. Or I can bridge it and get 600 watts. When I run the numbers with the wattage calculated in it looks like I am going to run into some bottoming problems. Am I looking at this right? I am planning on a 4 inch port tube. Any other thoughts or ideas?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the best stats hat I can come up with for now. I might have better numbers at work. These numbers are pulled from WinISD. I think that I might be overpowering it with the Adcom. I hate to throw more money into this "project" but would I be better off going with a CSS 15? I can pick one up from Meniscus because they are only about 10 minutes from my work.
Fs: 17.5Hz
Qts: .395
Vas: 8.85 ft^3
Le: 1.45 mh
Xmax: .51"
Z: 4 ohm
Qms: 8.35
Qes: .408
SPL: 87.21 db
Pe: 500 W
BL 8.9000
Dd 9.53
Sd 71.30 in^2

Let me know if you need any furthernumber and I will dig into it more.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the graphs, that is the same thing I was seeing but it in nice to have the confrimation. My latest thought has been to build a box that is around seven cubic feet. This would allow for a future change over to a CSS 15. Shhh don't tell my wife, but I think I could make that change without her knowing...:whistling:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to learn magic so I can turn my Magnepan IIIa's into MG20's without anyone noticing. Of course I would also have to get that money tree to grow in the back yard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had a little change in plans, a friend of mine give me his old ACI sv12 driver if I promissed to build a dual box. So I changed my plans around a bit and came up with a 16 cubic foot box tuned to 18 Hz. The cure looked pretty good so out to the shop I went.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a little design work this is what I ended up with.
1.JPG

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG
Let me know what you think, it will get a veneer treatment later, after the wife calms down a little.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I was able to get around 103db with no problem at all using U-571 DTS when they drop the depth charges off the back of the ship and they explode above and below the water. Listening to music tonight and it is clean ant tight. So far I am more than happy with everything. If I could do it again I would make it a little taller and thinner to fit in the room better, but it is hiding away behind my speakers now and you really don't notice it much. I wish they still made these drivers, for a 12 they have really good numbers and you don't need a ton of power to push them. I don't have any sort of EQ on them other than my Pioneer Elite VSX-01. I am driving them with my Adcom GFA 5400 with about 200 wpc. My living room is a mess from turning my system upside down when I get it cleaned up a bit i will take a few shots of it hiding behind the Magnepans. Thanks for all of the help. Looking for another project now.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Well I was able to get around 103db with no problem at all using U-571 DTS when they drop the depth charges off the back of the ship and they explode above and below the water. Listening to music tonight and it is clean ant tight. So far I am more than happy with everything. If I could do it again I would make it a little taller and thinner to fit in the room better, but it is hiding away behind my speakers now and you really don't notice it much. I wish they still made these drivers, for a 12 they have really good numbers and you don't need a ton of power to push them.
Madisound has the SV12 and SV10 in there specials section of the website. They are on sale big time too.
Are you still using this sub? I picked up a few from ACI when they were blowing them out and got the last few but just got them last week so nothing built yet.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/specials.php

1 - 12 of 12 Posts