Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little about the room... It is a large basement media room with a 125" screen, projector, etc. Main room is 4992 cubic sq ft and there is another room that is 1300 cubic square feet that is open to it. So slightly over 5100 cubic sq ft. The room is actually well insulated (all walls, and ceiling) and there is a lot of heavy drapes, carpet (this is a basement) and sofas/chairs.

I currently have an Hsu VTF-15H and am quite happy with that subwoofer, but I completed the basement build almost a year ago and am looking for a new project. I was seriously contemplating a second VTF-15H (my plan all along was to have at least two), but now I am really thinking DIY. As for size restraints and WAF factor, well I can go pretty big, but I don't think anything over 30" tall will fly. I might be able to go 35" tall. Depth-wise, no more than 30" deep, and can probably go another 30" wide if needed. I can probably go bigger in any direction accept depth if needed.

Budget... Well, I would like to stay under $1000. Ideally around $700, but am open to spending more and am open to duals subs now, and the possibility of adding a 3rd and maybe 4th. I was hoping to keep the Hsu, but am open to selling it after I build one or two subs and see how I like them. That sale could fund 1-2 more subs.

I have been reading lots of build threads and played around with some calculators, but am really getting myself confused. Here are some ideas I am floating around:

- Copying Gorilla's dual opposed Dayton 18" sub thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435795/first-diy-project-for-a-guy-looking-to-upgrade-multiple-sealed-18s). I would most likely start with one of these then add a second. His box is sealed and is roughly 7cubic ft. He is using this driver which seems like a winner:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472

My concerns with this build are that the dual opposed subwoofer baffles me in terms of wiring. So I would need some newbie guidance there...
I also am not sure if my budget is better building dual opposed, or two 24x24x24 cubes collocated using the same driver.

I also am open to using dual 15" drivers, these don't have to be 18", but I figured since I can go with a fairly large box and also have such a large room, 18" seems like a better move now with the thought of adding identical subs later?

I also am confused on amps. I don't want to spend too much money on an amp, but I want something that can power duals now. Was looking at the Dayton SPA1000, Behringer iNuke 3000DSP, and Behringer EP4000.

So what would you recommend experts? Dual opposed 15"? Dual opposed 18"? Single 18's? I am thinking sealed, but is ported better?

Help!

I have several weeks of time off upcoming, so I would like to order parts soon. I do have all the tools (router, table saw, jigsaw, etc)...

And thank you...

·
Registered
181 Posts
It seems that the new Dayton 18" are ever-so increasing in popularity as of late. I think a dual box with 2 Dayton 18's and an ep4000 sounds like a winner. The drivers are going to set you back $500 (for 2), an ep4000 about $350-400 new or check Craigslist or Guitar Center for a used one. I picked up an ep2500 for $175 used at Guitar Center a year ago.

For wiring info ck here http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/driver-wiring-diagrams/#axzz2CjD2fMQV

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Dual opposed sealed is a great way to go! If you can tolerate the size, why not go for the 18" set? The Dayton 18s would need 4-5cuft/ea and would only handle 400-500W/ea (EP2000 is big enough or maybe the NU3000DSP). There are no tricks to wiring a dual-opposed sealed sub. You just wire them in parallel for a single amp channel (2 ohm net load), or to two 4 ohm amp channels on a stereo PA amp.

Keep in mind that switching to a large sealed sub is going to interact with your room a lot differently than your vented Hsu VTF-15. Getting something with the DSP/EQ is always a good idea anyways, so I'd definitely consider that route.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... PE is having a sale on their 15" drivers ($99 apiece)... Very tempting.. I am also now thinking dual 15" drivers in two 7 cubic ft ported boxes tuned to 18hz and powered by an iNuke3000dsp...

Drivers and amp are about $750 shipped... That is a lot of bass for under $800....

Thoughts on this vs some sealed 18's? I am basically able to get two dual 15's for the price of one dual 18"..

I also think the ported 7 ft boxes tuned to 18hz would play nicer with my VTF-15H..

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Thoughts on this vs some sealed 18's? I am basically able to get two dual 15's for the price of one dual 18"..
That's a tough one, but if it were me I'd go with the 18's. You have a large room with a lot of space to fill, so the drivers should be commensurate. If you find dual 18's aren't sufficient you could always make another one with the proceeds from selling your VTF-15H.

Andrew has posted his cutsheet, which means you have the plans for that cabinet already. I think it's time someone was off to Lowes... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a tough one, but if it were me I'd go with the 18's. You have a large room with a lot of space to fill, so the drivers should be commensurate. If you find dual 18's aren't sufficient you could always make another one with the proceeds from selling your VTF-15H.

Andrew has posted his cutsheet, which means you have the plans for that cabinet already. I think it's time someone was off to Lowes... :bigsmile:
Yes, I agree about selling the VTF-15H. Sealed also seems easier to build as a newbie.

Do you think the iNuke 3000DSP is enough to power that dual 18?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Sealed also seems easier to build as a newbie.
Much, actually. Not having to worry about port tuning and all that goes with it -- length, air speed, etc. -- is a lot easier. Besides, everyone knows acoustic suspension sounds better then bass reflex. :D

Do you think the iNuke 3000DSP is enough to power that dual 18?
Running them 4 ohms would be good, but they seem to take more than 880 watts based upon what Andrew is saying. Are those drivers dual voice coil by chance? If so you could run them at 2 ohms, and in that case the 3000DSP puts out 1500 watts per which would be more then enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well Ack I do not have any advice for you, but I did order 2 of the dayton 18's and an ep4000 from walmart online. I was debating between X4 99$ 15's vs the 18's eventually I got tired of debating between the two so I just chose the 18's.

I may copy Gorillas sealed build or go ported I gotta debate between that for a bit.:ponder: Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have been doing lots of reading on this forum and others on DIY sub builds. So many different options and ideas out there, and am still on the fence on 15" drivers vs 18" drivers.

I am pretty sure I am going to need to go ported based on how large my room is and not wanting to spend tons of money on amps to power sealed subs. Clearly there are advantages to going sealed and advantages to going ported, and in my room, ported seems to make more sense.

The 15" Dayton drivers on sale for $99 are just so tempting... I could go with two 7-8 cubic ft enclosures with either 15" or 18" drivers, or do something creative in the front under the screen.. I would be limited on depth (about 20-24") and height (22-23"), but the length could be 100" long if I wanted :)

Back of the room, I have a lot of room along the back wall in a corner, but not really room for one in each corner of the back part of the room due to layout. So one big sub in the front and one moderately sized sub in the back. Or two moderately sized subs (one in front, and one in back). I don't see four subs working, but might be able to fit three.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a big room to fill, my choice would be dual 18's ported. The Stereo Integrity HT 18D2 should be considered.
Thanks Mike. I looked into the SI 18D2 and the price looks good. That said, they are currently not shipping, do you happen to know when they will start shipping?

Being the newbie that I am, I am going to download Winsd Pro and do some different modeling with 15 and 18 inch drivers. Single woofer enclosures, dual woofer enclosures, etc. All ported. Being a Mac/Linux guy I am in the process of setting up a Windows 7 virtual machine now and should start modeling tomorrow.

Will be running ideas through this forum to ensure I don't do anything stupid..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my Windows 7 VM running on my Mac last night and spent some time in Winisd Pro. I need some more time with the tool as I clearly was not configuring everything correctly (it was also 1:30am), but I am getting there :) Saw the tutorial posted here on the tool and will spend more time with it tonight.

I am going to take my time and do these builds right and not rush things, and I also want to use this as an opportunity to learn.

I have a lot of respect for the DIY'ers, it is really cool that with some time and effort you can build something that rivals some of the best subs out there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I pulled the trigger on 4 of the 15" Dayton DVC385-88 woofers at $99 a pop. Too good a deal to pass up and when you consider that I am pretty happy now with a single Hsu VTF-15H, I think this will tide me over :) One of my original goals of this build was value and seeing what I can do for around $1K versus a single Hsu VTF-15H that was about that much shipped.

I am thinking two dual front firing 15" subs in an 8-9ft enclosure with a slotted enclosure. I like the look and I think one in the front, one in the back, and potentially using the VTF-15H on a side wall near the seating position would give me some serious LFE..

Next step is decide on the box and then start cutting MDF and decide on finishes...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I scored a deal that I could not pass up for a new Inuke3000DSP amp. I was originally budgeting for 4 15" woofers, and an amp to power them for under $700 shipped and I am happy to report that I met my goal.

Mike (or non-Mike's) out there, I am considering dual front firing 15" drivers in a 36"Hx23"Wx26L enclosure with a slot port of 21.5"Wx3"Hx43.9" long. Thoughts on this? I am open to dual 6" rounded ports as well but am coming up with a length of 22" for each 6" diameter port which seems off... Oh, and I would build two of these subs powered off the iNuke.

I am also open to dual opposed ported subs too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts