Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have pretty much decided that I am going to order the AV15-X for my future home theater subwoofer. But I have a few questions.

What amplifier should I pair along with this sub? I was looking at the Behringer EP 1500 but I'm not quite sure. I heard the Yamaha Pro Amps were better quality but more coin. Also, would I need to get an equalizer to pair with the amp or does it already have a built in crossover?

Also, would you recommend going ported or sealed with this driver? If ported what tuning would be appropriate?

Thanks guys!

-Bo

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Is the X is intended for use in a ported cabinet, and ported will give you the most low end grunt. A tune of around 15hz is typical and depending on what size cabinet you can accommodate will affect the exact tune that will work best for you. Ive used a Behringer amp with my sub using the same drivers and find the results great. You could buy a better amp, but I couldnt personally comment on the differences.

You will need some eq and filters. A High Pass Filter will be required if you tune above 15hz, but a tune of 15 or under will likely mean you can get away with no HPF. If your system has a processor in it, like an AVR with a sub out, then this will do all the crossover work for you and you wont need anything else, barring some adapters to get the sub out of the AVR to the pro amp. If you want to then add some eq, and dont have something like Audyssey built into your AVR (assuming you do have one), then something like the antimode 8033 is a very good auto eq solution.

·
Registered
159 Posts
bo6, it depends on the size of your room. If you have a small room, going sealed might be enough, specially if you have very good low end gain. On the other hand, if you have a big space to fill, going either ported or with PR's might will be the better solution for the AV15X sub since it will fill that space better, at least in the low bass department.

I'm using the AV15X sub in a 7cf box with PR's (18-2100) tuned to 16hz, powered with a ED LT1300 plate amp and it sounds great for both HT/Music in my big room. You could use the 18-1600 PR's if you want the tune around 20hz, 18-2100 PR's if you want a tune around 16-18hz and the 18-2500 PR's if you want a tune in the 14-16hz range. The Behringer 1500 amp will provide enough power for the AV15X sub, specially in a ported/PR box.

Moonfly gave you good ideas, as for eq., I would also consider the Velodyne SMS-1 or a Behringer eq.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Why not go for one of their kits?

The cabinets are gorgeous and they give you like $200 off.

For a single woofer and 2 pr-s you will pay like $500, for $900 you also get an amazing cabinet with it.
I can't wait till I can get one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to go with the Mach 5 Audio 15" mostly because the AE was out of stock till late August and I will be moved out by then and I need to build a box before I do leave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts