Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I'm building it for prize. I know you were saying 110 litre total volume, but that cab would be way larger than Prize can handle, and I dont recommend a system Q that low in a sealed sub unless your aiming for IB territory (in which case these are costly drivers for that use), or have very capable mains you plan to run lower than 80hz.

Listening to it tonight though, its sounding very nice, and a quick test on a BR confirms that this is going to go nice an low with eq (which I have).

I'll keep this thread updated anyway, and get some graphs up when I can.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i cross close to 60hz, so my mains are of course capable to at least there. a pair of cerwin vega m100 towers. i always forget i have a bit of a big speaker fetish in comparison to some people.(Okay... most people.) Do these subs actually suffer in the 80hz+ end from a lower q?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
any sealed sub will change as system Q lowers. I wouldnt call this suffering, its just the character of sound changes, and for most people that dont have big low mains, a low system Q will seem to lack the upper mid bass, and focus heavily on low clean output. A high system Q will be great for small sats, with its focus on upper sub bass punch, so its all about finding what works best for you IMO.

Of course, all of the above is open to individual preference as well. Prize is obviously trusting in me to deliver based on my opinion. When I deliver this in a weeks time (hopefully), I'm sure he will be happy to add his view of the final product.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yup, i'm following it pretty closely so far, and am very excited at the thought of getting it in my room. (And, yeah, sorry for any confusion, Moonfly is building the sub for me). I think, if possible, some graphs would be very interesting indeed. I don't have the necessarys to run REW as i've no 'line in'. It all seems to be going well so far though Moonfly. :clap:

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah i think the vegas have a factory rating of 107db/w and some decent 15 inch drivers in a rather large cab. 34x18x18... lol! although i'd say closer to 96db, and tuned for some 35-40hz. I guess i'm spoiled to have a signifcant other that lets me keep these giants.

It seems this is a very solid build. I'd love to hear but, but am stuck in Canada. lol.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
yeah i think the vegas have a factory rating of 107db/w and some decent 15 inch drivers in a rather large cab. 34x18x18... lol! although i'd say closer to 96db, and tuned for some 35-40hz. I guess i'm spoiled to have a signifcant other that lets me keep these giants.

It seems this is a very solid build. I'd love to hear but, but am stuck in Canada. lol.
So far its sounding pretty decent, but the lower driver is leaking air and it needs some eq'ing. There is better to come and I'm gonna give it a few days of testing before I get cracking on the finish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So far its sounding pretty decent, but the lower driver is leaking air and it needs some eq'ing. There is better to come and I'm gonna give it a few days of testing before I get cracking on the finish.
Nice one mate. What sort of timescale do you think we're talking as regards the finish?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Yeah the 30hz dip is typical of my room, and something I have been unable to get rid on with one sub using normal eq. The BFD might have a good crack at it, but its would be pushing the limits of the drivers and amp I reckon.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Honestly, I got ordered into enjoying the sunshine with the family today. I was busy right up to Friday with work commitments and Saturday I had stuff to do. I will progress this week and get you some updates up as I go.

On a lighter note, listening to it tonight, I find it a much nicer listen than my old ultra, and although its not quite as deep, its plenty good for it to not matter, and it goes plenty deep anyway :T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I got back in from work at half 7 tonight so not had loads of time. I took the drivers out tonight and packed them back away again to get going on the prep work for the finish. Like I say, I'll post an update when its worth a post pal :T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Been busy today sanding and filling. Unfortunately I dont have the camera to put pics up, but hopefully will update ASAP.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts