Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
total noob question so sorry for this. i searched 5 pages of general discussion and just couldn't find hardly anything on at screens. i just cant get it through my head how a screen can allow sound to pass through? i can only visualize the sound being restricted or limited and lessened by the screen versus no screen at all. can someone shoot me a link or give a quick summary?

i think every theater on the planet does it so obviously it can me done.

thanks in advance from my block head.

dave

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Well Dave, you have it right. There is NO screen that is totally transparent to sound waves so even screen material used to make so-called "Audio Transparent" (AT) screens must absorb some of the sound; the question becomes how much of the sound does the material absorb and does it distort the sound or just lessen it a bit. We haven't done any audio testing of screen material (commercial or DIY) here that I know of, but someone did do some on another forum, it is given in post #6 of our thread on DIY AT Screen Material. We were hoping that the tester would copy his findings to this forum, but he hasn't done so yet.

What it basically breaks down to is that for normal PJ's the best DIY screen material is a single layer of white milliskin Spandex. If one must then they should use a second layer consisting of black milliskin to prevent reflections or lights behind the screen from showing through. Optically the screen will act similarly to a solid one painted with a N8 gray paint, but without the ambient light absorption of that shade of gray.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! 9 pages to read through!! i skimmed the first page and found the microphone readings very interesting. this will be a good read!!

dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts