Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of useing acrylic for a sub box but was wondering what you guy's think about something like that, or if anyone has done it. I think it would look very cool but I am not sure of the reasons I haven't seen them. Any opinions????

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't think you can get plexi thick enough. I think you can get acrylic thick enough but I don't know at what price. I will do some searching to see if it is cost prohibitive to use it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price is an issue for sure. Have any of you ever seen a build like this?

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
I used plexiglass on boxes but never build the whole thing out of plexi, I've seen boxes build out of plexi, to much work plus the sheet of 3/4 plexi its about $1000 if you buy it from a glass company but if can get it from a distributor its about $500, still you need a nice table saw..I'm talking $2000 table saw to be able to cut the plexi o any acrylic that tick!

The best thing is to build the box with wood and add couple pieces of plexi, but you have to finish the inside of the box to make it look good!

:dumbcrazy:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those ones that Mike linked to looked great. Rodny, why a $2000 saw. Is it because of the speed and you can't get one that will do the job for less? I thought a good saw with maybe a different type of blade would work.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
1" or 3/4 plexi is hard to cut with a cheap table saw, thats why I said a $2000 it doesn't have to be that much but a really good table saw and a good blade.

A lot of those boxes that you see build out of plexi are cut with water jet or laser cut, when using a blade the cut is pretty rough that = a lot of sanding and polishing:sweat:, every screw hole has to be pre-drill with a special drill bit or you can use a plexi-glue.

You still need to do braces because even the 3/4 plexi will flex!

just a lot of work:bigsmile:

The best thing is to let a shop cut the plexi with a laser this way you don't have to sand and it will be minimum polishing.

:T

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I am begining to see why there aren't alot of diyer's useing this for a sub build.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I guess I am begining to see why there aren't alot of diyer's useing this for a sub build.
I've been giving it a lot of thought and I'm interested in building one. To keep it simple, I'd do a wooden skeleton frame (painted black) and the plexiglass would be "inserts" for the 6 sides. I need a small sub for my desktop computer and the CSS QUARTET8 is looking good.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=QUARTET8

An 8 inch sub, 2 10 inch PR's and a 300 watt Bash amp in a 14 inch plexiglass cube should be interesting! :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sure would be interesting. I think going with the wood frame is a great idea. I would love to see that build thread.:yes:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Are you talking about plexiglass??
Plexiglas® is a brand of acrylic.

I have a laser that I use primarily to cut acrylic, though I've never cut past 1/2".

For cutting you probably won't want to use a laser as a laser does not cut perpendicular to the surface and the angle would be hard to deal with in a build. This is because the laser looks like an hourglass from the last focus lens through the cut. The big coming out of the lens, focused where you are cutting and then out big again. It's a small angle, but noticable.

Additionally, while a laser cuts a smooth edge as opposed to a saw or router, it does not cut glass smooth because it's melting the acrylic as it goes.

I have never seen acrylic waterjet cut, though I have done aluminum parts on a waterjet. It has the exact same non-perpendicular issue and its edge will also not be glass smooth.

For cutting parts for a sub, you'd probably want to use a saw to to get it close and a router to dress your edges with a pattern bit. Really no different than working with MDF.

If you're going to see the edges and want them polished, you're looking at some real work to achieve it. I know a place in Dallas that does this type of work every day if you want to job it out.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Plexiglas® is a brand of acrylic.

If you're going to see the edges and want them polished, you're looking at some real work to achieve it. I know a place in Dallas that does this type of work every day if you want to job it out.
The picture in the link of some of those builds would tend to agree with you as it looks like all the edges are covered with metal or chrome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yea, Plexiglas is a brand of acrylic. Acrylic is interesting to work with. I've built a few items for my reef aquarium. It is flexible. The bow on the front of my 100 Gallon Acrylic tank is significant. Lot's of bracing could solve this issue though. It would look very sweet.

Good Luck.

- Kyle

1 - 20 of 36 Posts