Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying this amp for $250. I'm using it with my Yamaha 3050. I know this is an old amp but I read it was a good one. Is this a good price & will I hear an improvement in sound by adding the amp? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts

Yes, they are very good amps, I used a pair of them for more than 15 years. I’d check ebay “previous listings” to get an idea of what they’re selling for.

As to whether or not you’ll hear in improvement, I couldn’t honestly say I could, but your mileage may vary. It largely depends on your speakers and your listening habits. If your receiver is having problems cleanly driving your speakers to the levels you’d like to hear them, then more power will help. Keep in mind that the “rule of thumb” for amps is that you have to double your current wattage to make it worthwhile, and even then you only get an additional 3-4 dB of headroom.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My speakers will be the SVS Ultra's. They will arrived this coming Tuesday. So far,I'm not having a problem with powering my speakers. My receiver puts out 150 watts at 8 ohms. If I'm not going to hear a difference then I'll save that $250! Thanks for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts