Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My system is listed below. Any advice and guidance on the best way to add two more speakers?

Add two more to the front?

Add two more to the side?

Add two more to the back?

Were would the best place be audio wise?

How would i hook them up to my Denon 4520, settings etc. to maximize effect?

I find that a lot of moives and tv still do not have 7.1 which leaves the back speakers silent.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If going from 7.1 to 9.1 your receiver must support it as the Denon AVR2112 does not Im not sure what your trying to accomplish.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If going from 7.1 to 9.1 your receiver must support it as the Denon AVR2112 does not Im not sure what your trying to accomplish.

Quote from my post:
"How would i hook them up to my Denon 4520, settings etc. to maximize effect?"

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I missed that in your signature its listed as the other Denon LOL sorry.
I would add them as front height channels.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would installing speakers as indicated in the picture (crude box drawn and a X in it) work?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Was thinking of a pair of FXI A4 or maybe another pair of FXI A6??

Actual install higher on the front wall would be difficult as i have the curtains there.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Not very well, I would put them above the screen just a bit in form the corners. the front height channels are designed to give you the feeling of items falling and putting them where you indicate would cause issue with the imaging of the other speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so you would recommend more in the area notated with the redbox's

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, that would be much better or even a little more over the corners of the screen:T

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If only 5.2 sound is being sent to the receiver will the receiver still send sound to front height speakers?
In other words I have 7.2 setup now and when feeding 5.1 sound into the receiver it only outputs 5.2. Will the receiver output sound to front height speakers with 5.1 being input?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No because even when using 7.1 with a 5.1 mix you have to use Dolby Pro Logic IIz to expand it to the other channels including the height channels. Youcan also have Audyssey DSX or THX Cinema modes to expand them to the 7.1 channels in your receiver. There is no such thing as a discreet 9.1 mix.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my Denon 4520 has 9 discrete channels. It has Audyssey DSX and it states,
you can reassign the amplifiers from the two surround back channels to power a pair of front height speakers.
Can't I run Back Surrounds and Front Heights...it says 9.2 chanel AVR?

Heres a picture of the back of the receiver:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I would think you could as long as you are only going to 9 channels.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes you are correct but just to clarify the movies do not have a 9.1 discreet mix so the receivers internal processing has to matrix the sound from the 7.1 or 5.1 mix that it is sent.

As I mentioned above if you want to hear anything in those channels you must use Dolby Pro Logic IIz(x), Audyssey DSX or one of the other modes that supports the extra channels.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any suggestions on Front Wide or Front Height being better in a 9.2 setup?
I was reviewing some diagrams in the Denon Manual and they appeared to have the front Wides on the floor like the front towers you would have? Is that correct in how you would place them?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The wide channels need to be placed to the right and the left of the main channels yes. But you need to have the room to do it I suspect that it would need to be at least 3' out from the mains or it would hardly be noticeable.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
The recommended location for Wide speakers is ±60° from Centre, basically splitting the angle between the Fronts and Sides. If that angle ends up locating the Wides on the side walls, then so be it (no one says they have to be on the front wall).

Personally, I would choose Heights instead of Wides. 7 speakers already do a good job of creating a seamless ring of sound around me. If I had another 2 speakers to add, I would try to get a bit of height effect, turning the 2D ring of sound into more of a 3D bubble of sound.

Would make for more of a noticeable difference than adding a pair of Wides to plug the gap between the Fronts and Sides (assuming you hear a gap).

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I have had 11.2 in my system for about a year, using a Denon AVR-A100. All channels are Klipsch Heritage, so they are as voice matched as possible, at least for me.

IIRC, Audyssey actually recommends adding wides first, then height. I have seen others recommend that as well. I went 9.2 with wides first, then added heights a couple of months later. Which made the most difference? It all depends on the source material. I experimented with just wides, just heights, then all. On some rock and lite rock music concerts (Celine Dion, Il Divo, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), heights seem to add more. On movies like Avatar, the heights really add "height" to helicopter flybys. On other well mastered Blu Rays, the effect can be stunning. On others, not so much.

But, on a lot of TV programs, I leave A-DSX off. For example, NBC programs sound very echo-y. American Idol sounds OK with 11.2, but vocals come thru better with it off. But with programs like Deadliest Catch and Coast Guard Alaska, the soundfield really comes alive with 11.2.

As said above, the extra channels are derived from the discreet 5.1 mix. So, the effect depends a lot on how that mix is done. Someday we may have discreet for more than 7.1 channels; then the effect would be much more dramatic and "predictable."

BTW, the 4520 can do 11.2, but requires another 2 channel amp to do it.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
But, on a lot of TV programs, I leave A-DSX off. For example, NBC programs sound very echo-y.
That's because DSX is adding early reflections that weren't in the original recording.

Audyssey DSX works similarly to Yamaha DSP modes, in that they both generate ambience. By comparison, Dolby PLIIz and DTS Neo:X extract ambience from the recording itself for their Height and Wide channels.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts