Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Adding Emotiva basX A2 (2 channels) to Yamaha RX-A2A worth it?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ngiordano 
#1 ·
I just ordered the Emotiva basX A2 so it won't be here for a few days. I'm just wondering if I'll hear a significant improvement in surround sound audio (clarity, depth, sound field, etc.) or is the difference negligible. All of the reviews I read on Emotiva's website said it made a drastic improvement to both music and movies. I'm not asking specifically about Emotiva's quality, I'm more interested in the benefits of adding an amp with only 2 inputs (for front mains). My yamaha only has one pre-out for the 2 mains, otherwise I'd have gotten the A7.
Any advice or info much appreciated. Opinions also welcome!
Your Pal Duke!

#2 ·
Will your ears hear a difference?
Maybe yes, maybe not.

I had a Yamaha unit 15 years ago. It was punching way above its class at the time, and people were intrigued that my system sounded better than their big name hi-fi stuff. Although, I also build my own speakers tailored to my room, which makes a much bigger difference than the amp being used.

Remember that we also sometimes (often) want to hear stuff better from one component to another. The brain can easily fool the ears!

You are the one in the end who will decide.

PS. I wouldn't pay too much attention on reviews posted by the company about their own products!

#3 ·
I actually have a very low opinion of the company after having dealt with them for the past 2 weeks. They don't tell you until after you've ordered something that they have to build it, and that delivery can take up to 12 days (I still won't be getting it until Friday after ordering it 2 Tuesdays ago). Their live chat almost never responds, they ask for an email address to get back to you, they keep mentioning that this is their busiest time of year yet they have no openings for part time temp work, and they only work 5 days a week from 8 to 5.

Anyway thanks for responding, and I'll probably post an update here after I get it installed.

#9 ·
when i added an amp for my atmos speakers leaving my avr only to handle the LCR it was a big deal to me , all that extra power found its way to the LCR, then shortly after that i took the plunge and got separates , a processor and two amps to handle all my channels, its crisp thats all ill say

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.