Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site. I have just embarked on a long journey to completely modernize my house. This includes an intelligent alarm system, automated lighting, and home stereo in every room. Part of this will include Home Theater builds in the main Family Room as well as in a dedicated Theater.

I am a DIY'er in most aspects of my life and in this case that means I have already pulled the wires, have some amplification (at least for the non-critical zones), and already even have some of the drivers for some of the speakers. Although I will be more than willing to sell what I have and go a different route.

My first project and what brought me to the site is to add a subwoofer to the family room. Dual purpose for music and movies. I have a 12" Rlp D4, pulled an RCA, and have an approval to build a piece of furniture (WAF) that can be around 12"x36"x30" (7.5cuft external). Obviously this puts me with plenty of room for an EBS style 12", but short for the same for the 15. The coil I have also throws a monkey wrench into getting a plate amp even though I am not opposed to running one at 8ohms that is rated for 4.

Considering the dual purpose I am also waffling between ported and sealed. A Mael-X sealed could easily fit in my space for instance. The difficulty of course is I'd like to downfire and the 12" depth makes it so that I will have to build a slanted baffle which will also eat into the 7.5cubes.

Sorry for the long intro, but I thought laying out what I was searching for and will be reading about would give you a background of how I got here. I'll make a thread, but would like to do some more reading first.

Sean

·
Registered
888 Posts
Welcome to the Shack Sean. This is a unique forum, you'll find. Lot's of enthusiastic people like you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome.

I do have a quick question that is probably most pertinent here. If there is topic that I find searching, but it is old or not updated recently is it preferred here to continue on the topic by adding a post to it for future searchers? The other option would be to start a new thread of course and I can surely make either way work.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Welcome to the Shack Sean!

Either way would work. If not off-topic, first option looks better to me :)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Hello and welcome to the Shack!

We are certainly glad you joined in with us... :T

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Sean. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts