Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I currently have a 9 year old Hitachi 50" rear projection TV with Satellite TV. (I'm from Canada so it's Bell ExpressVu)

I have a spare LCD computer monitor that I would like to use as a 2nd TV in my rec room. It has the regular computer connection and also a DVI connector on the monitor. Is there any way to split the satellite signal so I can watch the same TV show on the monitor that is on the actual TV. It's kind of a bar area and when people sit a certain way they wrench their necks to see the TV, so the LCD monitor would be nice to have at the other end of the room?

Is this possible? Or is it not worth trying? Also, I am not worried about a 'great picture' just something that is good enough to watch

Suggestions/Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ... Welcome :wave:

I currently have a 9 year old Hitachi 50" rear projection TV with Satellite TV. (I'm from Canada so it's Bell ExpressVu)

I have a spare LCD computer monitor that I would like to use as a 2nd TV in my rec room. It has the regular computer connection and also a DVI connector on the monitor. Is there any way to split the satellite signal so I can watch the same TV show on the monitor that is on the actual TV.
Does your SAT receiver has HDMI??? ... if it does, get a HDMI to DVI addapter to hook up the monitor.

Try connecting that to SAT receiver (leave the TV the way it is) and see if it works :yes: ... most of the time you use splitters to connect a pair of TV's, but in your case I'm sure you won't be using the same method (LCD will use DVI and TV probably is using composite or the antenna).

Hopefully others will give you more ideas ....:yes:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
:ponder:

Do you use a receiver for surround sound???

That could be another idea ... hook the SAT receiver signal to AVR, then send signal to TV (you can use use composite cable (yellow) and HDMI/DVI to lcd ....:yes:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The satellite receiver has RCA video/audio output and I also have surround sound with RCA outputs.

Kind of old equipment..... Is it possible with RCA outputs?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The satellite receiver has RCA video/audio output and I also have surround sound with RCA outputs.

Kind of old equipment..... Is it possible with RCA outputs?
I don't think so.

RCA's are analog signals and HDMI/DVI are digital ... so they're not compatible, they have to be converted.

Can you get another SAT receiver that has the two options (RCA/s and HDMI)???

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think so.

RCA's are analog signals and HDMI/DVI are digital ... so they're not compatible, they have to be converted.

Can you get another SAT receiver that has the two options (RCA/s and HDMI)???
Well my sat. receiver is a PVR (personal video recorder) so I for sure wanna keep that.

I also noticed there is a Dolby Digital Output too, not sure what its for but I'm guessing audio.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I also noticed there is a Dolby Digital Output too, not sure what its for but I'm guessing audio.
Yes, that's correct :yes:

Looking online I found this composite video to DVI converter ...http://www.hdtvsupply.com/scotodvicosc.html ... to me is a lot of money.

I saw the PVR online, I think you need the Deluxe to get HDMI :yes: (even if you get it, you have to be sure that you'll be able to use the SAT receiver output signals at the same time, this means ... that you can use RCA and HDMI at the same time to send signal to both TV's ...:yes:)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's correct :yes:

Looking online I found this composite video to DVI converter ...to me is a lot of money.

I saw the PVR online, I think you need the Deluxe to get HDMI :yes: (even if you get it, you have to be sure that you'll be able to use the SAT receiver output signals at the same time, this means ... that you can use RCA and HDMI at the same time to send signal to both TV's ...:yes:)
ya, too much $$. Since I had the spare monitor I was hoping for something easy.

I guess it will just collect more dust. :)

Thanks for the help anyways

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Are you using a receiver with surround sound??? ... that might be another option (depending on the model). There's some that upconverts all signals to HDMI :yes:
Yes I am but it is a 5-6 year old receiver..... has RCA outputs too.

Hek, maybe its time to update the receiver..... not sure what I'm gonna do

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Hek, maybe its time to update the receiver..... not sure what I'm gonna do
Well if you decide to upgrade your AVR ... you can consider this Onkyo 606 ... is the entry level, but according to manual it upconverts any signal and outputs from HDMI (you will need just the HDMI/DVI addapter to connect monitor) ... and I'm sure you can connect the RCA from AVR to TV too.

In case that you don't get the video signal from AVR to TV, you can use a "Y" cable to send the signal directly to TV and AVR from SAT receiver :yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts