Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX NR5009 with an Emotiva XPR3 connected to the receiver via RCA wires to drive the front left, right and center speakers. Does this setup disable the receiver LRC speaker connections, or can I connect an additional set of LRC speakers to the receiver via the normal receiver speaker connections?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me be more clear. My dedicated theater is 42x70 feet. I want to add additional front left and right speakers to give me a wider sound stage and fill in the gaps. What additional equipment do I need, if any, and how do I hook it up to achieve what I am trying to do?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
My dedicated theater is 42x70 feet.
Now THAT is a big theater!

I want to add additional front left and right speakers to give me a wider sound stage and fill in the gaps.
Soundstage does not work that way. The perfect soundstage comes from point source speakers. Adding more speakers will only disrupt the soundstage you already have, make it less cohesive and convincing. Depending on what speakers you have and their placement, different (bigger?? better??) speakers might improve its quality, but that depends on a lot of factors.

Really effective point source speakers can project a HUGE, wide, deep, convincing soundstage with pinpoint imaging and no gaps.

What additional equipment do I need, if any, and how do I hook it up to achieve what I am trying to do?
What are your current LCR speakers? How are they placed?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
The Goldenear Triton series are fine speakers, there is nothing better for what you are trying to accomplish.

My first thought was... move up to the Triton Ones. To be truthful, though, they will not give you a better soundstage and imaging (SS&I) performance. They will allow you to push them a little harder and you might feel that your space is being better filled with sound, giving the illusion of a better soundstage.

Is there something about your current setup that leaves you wanting? Do you feel there are gaps in the soundstage? From what vantage point?

Be aware that if your goal is perfect sound at every seat in your theater:
  • It is impossible to achieve.
  • Most likely no one you know cares about the quality of that soundstage like you do. If you have a terrific soundstage from the front center seat (PLEASE tell me you have a centered Primary Listening Position (PLP)), and pretty good sound elsewhere, then my advice is don't change a thing.
If the soundstage seems lacking from the PLP, then we can discuss possible ways to improve it. That is the place to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts