Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's a little under-damped which will increase with increasing power and runs out of Xmax at ~45 Hz/rated power referenced to a ~35 Hz F3, so marginal for music with any real bass and forget HT except at modest average SPLs even with corner loading in all but the smallest typical rooms.

Regardless, unless you watch movies near DD/DTS/THX reference levels, then if you have all the parts, might as well try it since it's a simple enough build and you may find it acceptable at your typical listening levels.

Note that its published specs calculate an unacceptable amount of sag if horizontally loaded, so the tube will have to lay on its side for best driver performance.

GM

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it works best white a 15 inch pr in a box off 4ft .
I already have the driver - hence the question.. the tube - well for ease of build.

sorry for being out of the talk.... what is a 15" pr and with regards to the box - do you mean 4 cubic litres? and finally - what does the colour matter? ;-)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I already have the driver - hence the question.. the tube - well for ease of build.

sorry for being out of the talk.... what is a 15" pr and with regards to the box - do you mean 4 cubic litres? and finally - what does the colour matter? ;-)
A 15 pr is a passive radiator and sorry if i dont was clear in my head when i vas write

it shall be in liter around 105liters

And the dpl 12 work best with a passive radiator.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
small room so size has to be limited to 60 litres... and I am reusing a 100watt plate amp. I think the filter is at 20hz
only reason I suggested closed is the last sub I built with the help of this very forum is now on the members database - it was decided it should be closed. Maybe thats because that is even smaller at 30 or so litres...

got a price back on a cardboard tube in the UK... £126! ouch - so much for cheap. I could get a cabinet made for less.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is that from these folks? http://www.essextubes.com/

Anyway, at 60 L/100 W, any advantage to venting at Fs is mostly offset by the reduced Vb due to a large vent, so if you choose venting, use a small vent and damp it if it makes any extraneous noises.

GM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts