Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to increase my subs (2) impact just a bit more. Would I increase the gain on the sub, or the decibel level in the AVR? Or do they both basically do the same thing? I want my end result to be more chest thump, rather than louder LFE.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
AVR is the typical place to do this. It gives a repeatable result, and unless you’re using an spl meter, there’s no real point of reference.
Can’t remember your AVR, but it’s common practice to bump the trim by 2-6db. Some subs may not handle this so be cautious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AVR is the typical place to do this. It gives a repeatable result, and unless you’re using an spl meter, there’s no real point of reference.
Can’t remember your AVR, but it’s common practice to bump the trim by 2-6db. Some subs may not handle this so be cautious.
I've got the Yamaha RX-A2A. Also the Radio Shack analog meter. I always set everything to 75db at 0db main volume, but then I'll tweak the surrounds so nothing really stays at reference level. Also what is meant by "trim"? On the AVR there's a separate setting specifically to lower the trim rather than the overall db level, but I haven't noticed any difference in sound. When I watch youtube tv the audio is terrible, especially the bass, so I tried lowering it all the way down to -6db and it made no difference. Everything else sounds great. Plex, regular youtube, Fox Sports app, etc. Only youtube tv sounds like ****.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
It’s probably easiest to adjust the sub via the AVR’s sub output level (aka trim). Easier than trying to access the sub controls (assuming they’re on the back side). In addition, (as @willis7469 indicated) the AVR’s adjustment should give reasonably accurate dB changes, as indicated by the numbers shown on the display.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s probably easiest to adjust the sub via the AVR’s sub output level (aka trim). Easier than trying to access the sub controls (assuming they’re on the back side). In addition, (as @willis7469 indicated) the AVR’s adjustment should give reasonably accurate dB changes, as indicated by the numbers shown on the display.

Regards,
Wayne
OK, thanks Wayne. I was confused because, as I said, there's a separate control under YPAO settings, which are completely different from the regular menu settings, specifically for "trim" adjustments. Yeah, the controls are on the back of the subs, all the way down, so it's a stretch for me to reach them. Plus, the knobs don't click, so you can't tell how much you're turning them. So basically using the gain on the sub or the db levels on the AVR results in the same "sound", they only control volume. Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Yeah, Yamaha drives me nuts with their language and settings sometimes lol. There should be a separate speaker level setting separate from ypao. Just raise it to taste. Usually 3-6 works good. Again, use caution. Not all subs are created equally.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Yamaha drives me nuts with their language and settings sometimes lol. There should be a separate speaker level setting separate from ypao. Just raise it to taste. Usually 3-6 works good. Again, use caution. Not all subs are created equally.
Yeah, there is, it's in the regular "Settings" menu. Like I said, YPAO set the subs to -10db which I'd never gotten before. I just now raised them to -8.5db I'll see how that sounds with the movie I'm watching tonight. By 3-6 you mean -3db to -6db right?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also get confused by when people use the word "trim".

Ironically I have my subwoofer at +2dB so I'd start at 0 and having the knob on the subwoofer itself at 1/2.

Try a Manual calibration without ypao and see how it is. I do think they are essentially the same as volume adjustments.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also get confused by when people use the word "trim".

Ironically I have my subwoofer at +2dB so I'd start at 0 and having the knob on the subwoofer itself at 1/2.

Try a Manual calibration without ypao and see how it is. I do think they are essentially the same as volume adjustments.
Your last sentence is all I needed to know. Thanks. Yeah, I started at 1/2, or 12 o'clock position. I made some tweaks and messed up the balance, tonight's movie only sounded ok, so I set everything back to where it was and I'll do a sound check tomorrow. Glad to know I'm not the only one that got confused by "trim".

·
Registered
22 Posts
A little off the topic of adjusting only volume, but still on the topic of "adding impact"... I added an equalizer between the sub out on my AVR and the inputs on my subs (dual low-profile 10" powered subs). I first turned off all correction on the AVR and tweaked the sub-EQ that way, adding effectively a low-frequency shelf, and managed to extend the low corner of the subs another 10 Hz or so. Then I ran the auto EQ on my AVR to "polish it all off". You need good headroom on your sub power to handle the boost, and watch levels to keep them within reasonable limits, but it works great!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little off the topic of adjusting only volume, but still on the topic of "adding impact"... I added an equalizer between the sub out on my AVR and the inputs on my subs (dual low-profile 10" powered subs). I first turned off all correction on the AVR and tweaked the sub-EQ that way, adding effectively a low-frequency shelf, and managed to extend the low corner of the subs another 10 Hz or so. Then I ran the auto EQ on my AVR to "polish it all off". You need good headroom on your sub power to handle the boost, and watch levels to keep them within reasonable limits, but it works great!
Thanks for the tip! Just out of curiosity, do you have EQ on your AVR? I do, and tweaked the subs EQ that way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure thing! I think my AVR is of a less-fancy variety (H/K 1710) so probably minimal EQ, if any.
Mine's a Yamaha RX-A2A. The EQ for the sub is only for the 2 lowest frequencies. I don't know what the deal is with my room (which is really weird) but I lowered the two EQ's down to the lowest setting and now that one frequency that booms is gone. It wasn't the lowest frequency so it was a bitch to isolate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What frequency range did you boost ?? As I understand it the chest thump impact is in the 50 to 100 cps realm, not real low frequency.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
A little off the topic of adjusting only volume, but still on the topic of "adding impact"... I added an equalizer between the sub out on my AVR and the inputs on my subs

...and tweaked the sub-EQ that way, adding effectively a low-frequency shelf, and managed to extend the low corner of the subs another 10 Hz or so.
The equalizer should indicate the numeric frequencies that you made for these adjustments. This is what @shene is asking about.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
22 Posts
What frequency range did you boost ?? As I understand it the chest thump impact is in the 50 to 100 cps realm, not real low frequency.
My particular combination of dual low-profile subs in my room saw improvement by boosting below roughly 40 Hz and then again below 20 Hz. I could be more exact but it almost surely would not translate exactly to your setup and room. I do agree with the "chest thump" impact being around where you say, with the lowest octaves being more for rumble (and for music - the lowest bass notes - my favorite music example for this is "Crazy" by Seal, after the interlude).

My external EQ is a Behringer DEQ2496. I used bandpass boosting, using onlinetonegenerator.com with a repeating downward log sweep from about 500 Hz down to 10 Hz, while tweaking the center, bandwidth, and gain of the boosts, aiming for the flattest downward extension to as low as possible. Doing this I was able to add about an octave and a half to the low end that way (now bottoms out just under 20 Hz - very satisfying). If I recall correctly, I also kept a highpass to protect the subs from out-of-control boosting below 10 Hz. Were I to do it again, I would probably opt for a shelving boost (or two), rather than the bandpass boosts, because I believe that smoother results may be easier to obtain due to the fewer parameters needed to adjust.

Using an external EQ has both benefits and perils - you can have more control over where you stage your gains to avoid clipping too soon in the signal chain, but with that control comes more places to keep track of those levels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...with that control comes more places to keep track of those levels.
Didn't Aunt May say that to Peter? ;-)
Oh man, you guys are confusing me now. Bandpass boosting, downward log sweeps, gain of the boosts...it's all foreign to me. All I know is the equalizer in my RX-A2A only allows me to tweak 63Hz and 160Hz on the sub, the rest of the bands are grayed out. Anyway I was watching Black Adam tonight (DD+ audio but ok for now) and I knocked a few things off the shelf without any boominess. So I'm good ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Didn't Aunt May say that to Peter? ;-)
Oh man, you guys are confusing me now. Bandpass boosting, downward log sweeps, gain of the boosts...it's all foreign to me. ...
No worries. I was concerned about hijacking your thread too much, with all the added complexity that outboard equipment brings. Anyway, so glad that you got it sorted, and (since you mentioned it), hoping your health improves. (At least well enough to chase wires under subs, if not more!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts