Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there fellow sub lovers. I've been thinking of doing my first sub build and I had a question about a design I had. It would be 22 sq" box lined with insulation with an 18" driver in it. It would then have two ports of the same size for a sonotube to be "locked in" as a vent both on the front and the back. So if I want downfiring, I'll flip the box with the driver facing downwards and refit the sonotube.

The point of this setup is that I will always have an upwards sonotube but I will have my choice of front or downfiring. Holes will be drilled for a screen to protect the woofer but the same holes will also be used to mount the legs for when it's downfiring. Now I'd be using 20" sonotube for all of this and it would be about 6ft high. Any thoughts on this kind of setup?

I will most likely be using a Mach 5 ILX 18.2.2 sub (great BOOM for your buck and Canadian). If anyone could recommend a different speaker (hoepfulyl Canadian), please do and state why.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think of a fire place. The speaker is front firing in a box with a sonotube coming out the top. There would also be a port for the sonotube in the back that would be sealed when the sub is front firing. If I wanted it to be downfiring, I would then take the tube out, take the screen off the sub, put the legs in the holes where the screen was, flip it so it's facing downwards, take out the plug in the NOW top port and put it in the other port (which would be facing front at this point) and put the sonotube in the now top port. Thinking of using rubber seals for securing the sonotube.

I'm at work right now but I'll draw a MS Paint thing when I get home.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Essentially what you are saying is to have the ability to turn the sub over and have the driver either facing up or facing down and have a duplicate port on the top and the bottom.

If this is what you mean then its probably not a problem but you will need a circular piece off wood that you can screw on to seal up the cylinder so there is no leaks.

Personally I don't see why you can't just see which sounds best and leave it as it is.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's not going to be top and bottom as it will be front and bottom with a sonotube port on the top and back. I live in a house with 3 other people and my room in 10X14. If no one else is home, I crank it up and let it pound the ground. If people ARE home though, I would let it fire forward to be a bit more considerate. I have a bass trap between the sub, my bed and the wall (back end of house, bed against back wall with space in between bed lined with acoustic dampeners). I'll also have a dual crossover where I can set the highest and the lowest frequencies the sub receives (originally due to prventing it bottoming out).

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A wee little bump for the pic and to explain how off center everything is. I'll have all hookups and what-have-yous on one of the sides.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
If people ARE home though, I would let it fire forward to be a bit more considerate.
Uhm...sub frequencies are non directional so it makes no difference what direction the driver fires. Even if you are getting some gain by corner loading you would still need to adjust the output by turning down the gain or volume of the sub.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Very poor ascii drawing of the portion of bedroom. The right side is between the bed and an outer wall and is a nice little bass trap.

Edit: Well.............. . I guess I have to wait untill I get home to add another MS Paint image. Lol. I shall keep my failure visable.

Edit 2: Success. Yes. as you can see there there's stuff all around the sub to help with all that fun noise a bit. I will high tune the sub for those times so there's not TOO much of a whump but I can still enjoy decent low end late night.

|.......................................|xxxx|
|.......................................|xxxx|
|.......____________________|SUB|
|.......|...............................|.....|
|.......|...........bed...............|.....|
|____|____________________|___|