Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all ,

I would like to know the advantage of using a dedicated power amp to drive the sub versus using the sub out of a receiver ?

Also i am currently using a paradigm cinema 110ct sub and a HSU STF-2 sub connected to the output of an Onkyo TX-SR706 .

What would you recommend i use as a power amp for the subs?

Thank you

Alain

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
A lot of folks including myself use hi powered pro audio amps to push large speakers or groups of speakers. Most plate amps the ones install inside a subwoofer do put out the needed power to power these home theater monsters. In your case you HSU has a very nice plate amp, that is a perfect match for your subwoofer, so you would not benefit from an external amp. I hope this made sense. :)

Matt

·
Registered
790 Posts
Good evening all ,

I would like to know the advantage of using a dedicated power amp to drive the sub versus using the sub out of a receiver ?
Power. Most AVRs are about 100W/ch and many are less if all the channels are being driven hard. Many AVRs do not like a 4Ω load which is what a lot of subs are.

With an external poweramp, I can get 1000W or more easily and quite cheaply. With all speakers including subs you have a tradeoff between, size, efficiency and how low they will play. Because most people want them fairly small and play deep, they are inefficient and so need a lot of power for maximum performance.

Using the line out and a pro power amp also allows you to add further processing to optimise the sub(s) within the room.

Thank you

Alain
Any decent pro amp. Best value for the $ are the Behringer EP2000/4000 (older versions were called the 1500/2500, basically a relabel only). Then there are the Yamaha P series, a number of Crest, QSC, Crown etc amps that will all do a similar job depending upon budget, bias preferences and features.

Work out your power requirements and budget and see what you can find that works.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good evening all ,

Also i am currently using a paradigm cinema 110ct sub and a HSU STF-2 sub connected to the output of an Onkyo TX-SR706 .

Thank you

Alain

Just to make sure you know, You cannot hook up another amp to a sub that has an amp of it's own unless you by-pass the amp in the sub. If you have a passive sub,one without an amp, then you could use an external like the behringer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to make sure you know, You cannot hook up another amp to a sub that has an amp of it's own unless you by-pass the amp in the sub. If you have a passive sub,one without an amp, then you could use an external like the behringer.
Ah Thank very much this is an information i did not know ..guess it pretty much close my option then

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Also just for clarification, The receivers "sub out" is a line level signal and is not an amplified signal that will drive a sub without using an external amp such as the amp built into the sub or an external amp.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
On the physics side of things. It takes more power to move a larger object. Subs are very large and because of that require a lot more power to operate than you speaker normally would.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts