Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a powered subwoofer that has a Advent metal label and Sunfire Technology printed on the amp/connection plate of the subwoofer cabinet. There are no model numbers on the cabinet anywhere.

I have been unable to find any information regarding this subwoofer by googling any of the advent / sunfire / carver etc. combinations I can come up with.

The subwoofer is a 15" bottom-fire.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this subwoofer?

Thank you in advance for any responses or help!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Give Sunfire a call.

1920 Bickford Ave.
Snohomish WA 98290

425-335-4748
425-335-4746 fax

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
This is very ironic that I haven't heard or seen the name "Advent" in years and today we have two people post mentioning Advent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Sunfire this morning. This Advent sub was a one-time collaboration between Sunfire and Advent and Sunfire had no information on the specs for this sub.. Sunfire told me to call Advent.

I called Advent (now under parent company Audiovox) and they said they hadn't retained specs on the older speakers. No more information can be found out unless somone out there has this same sub and manual....etc.

Great sounding sub though!

Sonnie - Greetings from B'ham!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Either way, this sub sounds like a monster...15" driver and all :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll get some pics sometime today and let you check it out Flashjim.

The exterior isn't very pretty though. It was covered in black woodgrain vinyl (is this considered veneer?) and the vinyl on some of the corners has started to recede so the wood below is visible.

And a few little tears in the vinyl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A search on Yahoo today has revealed more info about this Sub.

Apparently it is a Advent AV550S and has these specs.

500 watt Sunfire Amp built in
15" woofer

Frequency response:
20 Hz to 150 Hz, +/- 3 dB

Amplification:
Power output 500 watts peak into 4 ohms
Sig to noise ratio 85 dB, wideband
Crossover frequency (-3 dB) 40 Hz to 120 Hz

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hmmm... the box does seem to be in pretty rough shape. It appears to be separating at the seams maybe? If there are any air leaks or weak spots it could affect the performance, I would think.

You know, Jim has all the right tools (if you don't) and I bet he'd build you a duplicate box for the driver and amp (if you couldn't). Jim just seems like that kind of guy to me. :R Seriously though, if the box is not repairable, it could be a fun project to rebuild it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sonnie,

That is the vinyl veneer receeding from the corners.

There aren't any spaces in the wooden corners or seams.

Not sure why any company would use the equivalent of bumper sticker material to "face" their products. :laugh:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Parts Express sells replacement bumper sticker material. :D

Get a roll or two of black and just recover it. That is, if you even want to bother with it. It doesn't affect preformance at all. Then again, don't clean cars run better? ;)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
FlashJim said:
Then again, don't clean cars run better? ;)
:scratch: less resistance?

I see... then I like Jim's original idea of using the wood veneer to refinish it... or strip the vinyl and get some of that poly type spray similar to what SVS uses and spray it black. That stuff is like truck bed liner... tough as nails.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good question about the repair need.. Seems like a serious Ice Storm here in Okla. last Dec. damaged my AV 550 with a power surge.. Contacted both advent and sunfire but no one got back with me. I know there are other great subs out there, but this sub is/was my fave. Would be interested if anyone either has one for sale or for parts or something.. any advice anyone?

Thanks..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts