Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on an impulse buy I purchased one of the 160v.2 that I'm sure you've heard was on sale. I am a rookie and still learning (but I am learning) so I kinda made a mistake. I found that you can only wire these DVC subs in 2 or 8 ohm. I went to purchase a second this morn so I could wire 4 ohm and they were sold out. *sniff* *sniff*

So I need a new amp either way. I need some advice on an amp to power what I'm hoping will be a beast. (Be a step up from the Fosgate driven system I built as my HT sub maiden voyage anyway.) I can't seem to find one that will suit the ohm rating needed.

Money is tight at the moment. My company is experience a extreme slow down due to the economy, and our work hours have been cut. I'm hoping it's not too expensive. Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
Chase Setters

·
Registered
393 Posts
I assume you have an amp that's not rated for a 2 Ohm load? You can just run it 8 Ohm, you won't get all the power you might want, but it will work. That will give you time to find another driver somewhere, or time to shop for the amp you want.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tenzip,
My current amp is a BASH 500w from parts-express. At 8ohm I don't think it will give sufficient power. But, yes it will probably run it until I can find a suitable amp. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike P.,
I was going to follow the plans you suggested on the thread a couple days ago for the gentlemen who had 2 of these subs. I was thinking 11 ft^3 downfiring. "box tuned to 20 hz. Porting would be either three 4 inch ports or one 6 inch port." I'm thinking a column style box.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes sir it is. But it's not 2 ohm stable. At 8 ohm it will only push 275-300 watts to a driver that has a recommended RMS of 600w. Thats not enough right? If I could get another eD 160v.2 D4 and wire it 4 ohm I wouldn't worry so much.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The 160v.2 will handle 1000 watts in the right sized box and tuning with program material. I wouldn't try using test tones at that power level, however. For 11 cu.ft. Xmax is reached at 800 watts. Here's some modeling of the sub. All are 11 cu. ft. tuned to 20 hz. I used the "Auto Calculate" option in WinISD to create the file. This file has the parameters of the D2, which according to E.D., is the same specs for the D4.

Pink - Bash 500 - 300 watts into 8 ohms, SSF at 18 hz. (your amp as it is now)
Orange - Bash 500 - 300 watts into 8 ohms, SSF at 13 hz.
Green - 800 watts into 8 ohms, SSF at 17 hz.

160.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love that green line. I found the EP2500 for a **** of a deal. It states 2 x 1,200 watts into 2 ohms the EP1500 states 2x700 watts into 2 ohms.

I'm thinking that will work. With the deal on the ep2500 it will give me plenty of headroom. This sounds good to me but you guys are the pros. Stop me if I'm making a mistake and thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, sweet! EP2500 it is.

If I catch "upgraditis" anytime soon I have a feeling I'll simultaneously be catching "wifeBeatingMyRearItis". : )

Thanks for your help Mike P. It's comforting to have a veteran protecting me from myself.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Was your deal on the amp a one-only, or do they have more? Inquiring minds with open wallets may want to know.
:spend::whistling:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts