Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the bug again and I'm tossing around the idea of selling off my Dayton 15" 390HO build and going with twin smaller subs to place on either side of our entertainment center. The room is about 18x28 and is open to 2 hallways. Its a big space, but the wife is not a fan of large cabinets.

I want to build something more inconspicuous, but something I can feel more. The single 15" was ok, but didn't have high excursion (only 12mm I think), so I want to move more air around with these new ones.

Currently the amp is a Behringer EP1500, but that could be sold for a EP4000 if need be. Using an elemental designs eq2 for cutoff and tweaking.

I'd like to keep the woofer cost <$300/ea if possible

I'd like to keep the sub internal size less than 4 cu ft

Room size is 28x18x9

After a little research, I've got the following build ideas...

Two TRIO12 subs with passive radiators from CSS in the 20" cube size (or slightly more narrow and taller for a smaller footprint). Could keep the EP1500 and power them with 400W/channel

Two IXL18s in sealed boxes, ditch the EP1500 for a 4000, 1400W/channel

Two IXL15 in ported boxes (2.6 cu ft, 19hz tune, 1"x16.5"x44" port), EP4000 powered

Obviously the larger drivers model better, with the nod to the ported IXL15 on the low end. These are in stock which is nice. But, I like how the TRIO12s are cheaper and I can keep my current amp. Would the larger woofers in either configuration blow the TRIO12s/PR combo out of the water? Or any other small footprint combos out there that perform just as well or better? Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Hi there,

Could we have some more details on the current dayton sub you have, i.e: tuning, size etc...

This will help us determine what would be a good route for you.

regards

Graham

·
Registered
180 Posts
And the EP4000 isn't gonna do 1400/channel. I think it was tested at 950 or so per channel. Which is only a couple dB off... no biggie. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. Here's the current sub from the build thread...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/35139-dayton-rss390ho-15-high-output-subwoofer-build.html

I know everyone on here always talks SPL, but I'm not necessarily looking for absolute loudness, I'm really just looking for deeper more full low end extension and want the 'feel' factor to go up. Will the TRIO12s offer that in the PR configuration or should I spend the bucks and go with the 15s or 18s?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I looked a mach audio IXL15 last night and it looked good in a 4cu ft box tuned to 20hz. I can look at the FI's as soon as I get home tonight for you. And I will have a look at your previous build too. If only winisd was an android app.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After doing more research based on what was posted here, what I could find online, and what my wife was most comfortable with (<- always the wildcard haha); I decided on a single TC Sounds LMS-R 15". I sold the old Dayton driver from my current sub enclosure, and I'm going to install the new sub into it for the time being, while I take my time building a small sealed enclosure for it. It's going to need some EQ'ing to optimize it in either box, but the QTC isn't too too high - .808 in a 2 cu ft sealed box that I'm going to build. This way, wifes happy with one smallish sub, and it performs as good as I could get expect from a single 15" in a smallish box. I'll start a build thread in the next few weeks when I get started on the new enclosure. I'm definitely going to take my time on the new one, I rushed thru in building the box that I'm reusing for now and wasn't 100% satisfied with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hehe. I think I've got a better plan this go round that will be approved by my domestic supervisor, thanks fellas :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts