Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

To start out, im new here, in fact its my first post, so please go easy. I currently have a 2.1 Bose setup driven by a Yamaha amp. Its good, but not great. For my new setup I would like a surround sound 5.1 setup, which means a new amp and speakers.

To start out with my system, I would like to pick a Sub. Ive heard great things about 15" subs and so I would like to pick this part first and build around it. My budget is around ~£200 or ~$350 for it.

Can someone please recommend one for me? Ive looked at B&W and JBL but both of these are priced at double my budget. Im quite happy to go for a not so well known brand as long as the quality is still very high.

Thanks!

James

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome James. Have you considered do-it-yourself? Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The concept of building a sub is new to me and I love the idea. Ive already made a post in the DIY Sub section!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Are you absolutely set on a 15" driver? Size is not necessarily everything, especially at that price point.

Or, if you are willing to spring $150 more, AV123.com has a sale right now for their MFW-15 that retails for $800 now for only $399 plus $100 freight cost.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Also, I've heard the MFW-15, personally, and at that price point it is a STEAL.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I've heard the MFW-15, personally, and at that price point it is a STEAL.
Hi guys.

Thank you very much for the replies. I'm actually an engineering student at Brunel university so not only do I have access to a workshop but i'm also keen to save a buck or to so I think I'm quite suited to building my own.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
162 Posts
I saw a nice powered sub on ebay last week it went for around 70.00 the sub was blown but the 250 watt plate amp was in good shape.. I think ebay may be a good start

1 - 9 of 9 Posts