Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally ordered my sheet of 6mm sintra for my 120" screen from my friends shop for a steal at $66 woot!! I have not yet received it as we just placed the order but I'm curious to how you guys with this kind of screen are mounting it. I have been told I do not need a frame and that I can Mount it directly to the wall. What are you using to mount? If its not too heavy I was thinking maybe those Heavy duty mounting velcro strips which I use all over the house but then I'm wondering how I do I mount the border. Any suggestions would be great so that I can get a head start before it arrives.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I finally ordered my sheet of 6mm sintra for my 120" screen from my friends shop for a steal at $66 woot!! I have not yet received it as we just placed the order but I'm curious to how you guys with this kind of screen are mounting it. I have been told I do not need a frame and that I can Mount it directly to the wall. What are you using to mount? If its not too heavy I was thinking maybe those Heavy duty mounting velcro strips which I use all over the house but then I'm wondering how I do I mount the border. Any suggestions would be great so that I can get a head start before it arrives.
First thing, forget about using Velcro!!! Your full sheet of Sintra would weigh close to 44 pounds; I know I wouldn't trust Velco to hold it up for a protracted time. BTW, I have noticed that many times it's the adhesive on the Velcro that fails and not the fabric itself.

The hanging process I prefer is generically called a French Cleat. If you have a table saw you can make your own, but it's better to just buy them. A brand I like is called Hangman (they call them mirror or picture hangers) and can be found at many hardware stores and home improvement centers. According to them their 5" model will more than support your screen, but when it comes to hanging screens I prefer a "belt and suspenders" approach. Their 12" model, which supports up to 120 pounds, sells for around $10.

Here are the products on Amazon.

Here is a video on installation:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow, I had no idea it would weight that much. I was searching for weights on it too and was coming back at 20 something pounds. So I guess I have to make a frame after all then and keep the the sheet full size as to have something to screw into. At 12" I would be lucky to catch a stud though so maybe I could do two of the 5" ones as I could then hit a stud with the middle screw and use the drywall anchors for the two outside ones.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Wow, I had no idea it would weight that much. I was searching for weights on it too and was coming back at 20 something pounds. So I guess I have to make a frame after all then and keep the the sheet full size as to have something to screw into. At 12" I would be lucky to catch a stud though so maybe I could do two of the 5" ones as I could then hit a stud with the middle screw and use the drywall anchors for the two outside ones.
I did more research on the weight of Sintra and find it's a hard thing to pin down. Depending on what documentation or MSDS you read you get different numbers, and always as a range and not a fixed value; but the usual range is from 0.7 - 0.9 g/ccm. This equals 43.7 - 56.2 pounds per cubic foot. A 60" x 120" panel 0.25" thick (6mm is ~0.24") contains 1.25 cubic feet. 1.25 * 43.7 = ~54.5 pounds (rounding a bit for convenience). So again for sake of convenience I would just call it 50 pounds a sheet for a 6mm 5' x 10' sheet.

I got the number I gave you before from here via extrapolation of the weight for a 4' x 8' sheet (they rate it as 28 pounds). It appears they are either using a lighter foam than normal or they are miscalculating. :huh:

While I have never handled a full sheet of 6mm Sintra my understanding is that while it may be flexible it doesn't need a frame to hang it on a wall either by directly screwing it to the wall or using a French Cleat. The double cleat idea sounds good, just be sure they are mounted at the same height. ;)

As for a border, either mount some black fabric (most use velvet) using contact cement. or attach plastic or wood molding wrapped in black fabric with short screws to the Sintra.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mech,

Yea I looked into the tape but I'd like to add a little dimension with the trim as I think it will look much better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Then I would just get some 1X3 material and wrap it in velvet. That's what I did with my diy screen I did many moons ago.
Hey everybody!

That's what I did too, but I'm wondering if this wouldn't be both better and easier? http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000288/10394/Flocking-Fibers-3-oz-Black.aspx
Has any one tried flocking some MDF trim with this and using it for the border? Seems like you could make a very classy looking trim with much less effort than wrapping with Black Velvet. This stuff is supposed to absorb light very well...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nak, I've been actually looking into alternatives to velvet. I just got done pricing out the kit which cuts the quantity of suede flocking material needed really close using only one 3oz bag and the total would be $35.55 shipped. Now the 3oz kit says it covers 10-15sf with reclaiming and reusing the overspray. So if you wanted to be really safe you would probably have to buy another 3oz which bumps the price another $9.90. You could also use the soft flock material which would be cheaper but not by much and the suede probably looks much better as its what they use to do entire dashboards and such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts