Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered, a nice klipsch reference sytem with 8" floorstanders and need a subwoofer.

Im looking to spend aprox $1000 total for a speaker(s) and amp, although I'm willing to spend more if necessary. Less would be better lol.

80% movies, 20% music.
Small room, maybe 400 square feet
I don't care how big the box is, I'm single!

These are my requirements, in order of importance.

1. Excellent, loud, low-end punch - "feel it in the chest"
2. High SPL and SQ
3. Good "tight" bass for music.
4. A frequency curve flatter than Kansas.

I am familiar with WinISD, I used it to build some car audio subs. I hated the "one-hit wonder" boxes that are so common in car audio.

I originally looked at JL 13w7 subs, but after reading this site I realized it might not be the best for home audio.

Questions:

1. The primary sub I started to look at was a Maelstrom-X. Are there any comparable-priced speakers that fit me better?
2. Amp? Maybe EP2500?
3. Sealed or ported? I'm leaning to ported, because of the flatter curve, but I dont want to sacrifice a "tight" bass.
4. Do I need anything else? EQ? REW? BFD? Extra-crossovers? This is the part I am most confused about. With car audio you have a simple high and low crossovers built into the amp, and its done. Seriously, is there anything else you recommend to get?
5. And finally, am I aiming too high? Will it overpower my poor klipsch speakers? Will my neighbors/cops/kitty-cat hate me? Should I just buy a svs/av123 and be done with it?

Oh and btw, this forum is awesome.

My old HT was a JVC HTiB and now I'm running on TV speakers, so I suppose anything would be better than what I have now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
1) Can't go wrong with a Maelstrom
2) EP2500 ... fan favorite
3) For that size room, sealed will be plenty
4) If you go ported you will need high pass filter. Definitely download REW and get mic/SPL meter all on FAQ. Possibly/probably need BFD $100 new... less used on ebay.
5) You have control of gain and volume. It's always nice to have headroom!!

You could also go with 2 15's ? You can look at the WI GTG thread by warpdrv, there was a lot of subs there and some reviews. After you get into this more you may end up wanting DIY speakers too?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Ported would give you more low end out put for HT. As for ""a frequency curve flatter than Kansas"", that will depend on how the sub interacts with the room it's in. REW will tell you what adjustments need to be made for a flat frequency response. The BFD does the adjustments. As for crossovers, the receiver does the low pass to the EP2500. If you go ported you'll need a high pass filter as the EP2500 doesn't have one. A recommended HPF is the Reckhorn B1 from Creative Sound Solutions. It also has the ability to boost the voltage from the receiver to the amp if it's not high enough.

Maelstrom sealed vs ported.JPG

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like you have Klipsch RF-82 or 83 speakers, I have RF-82s right now. My sub is a 15" with 2 18" PRs, basically the same as a ported box just more expensive, and they work great together. The Klipsch speakers are great and will get as low as 35Hz on their own. With my sub able to go down to 15Hz, and over 120dB during music, it rocks. With the Maelstrom in a ported box you will be louder, and deeper than me, and that would be awesome, your neighbors will hate you. You will probably want the Reckhorn B1 too boost your signal going to your amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, so at least I'm on the right track. I hope my neighbors get mad, their dog poops in my yard.

Does the signal need to be amplified? I was looking at Onkyo's receivers and assumed the voltage would be enough.

·
Registered
487 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts