Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the forum, THANKS in advanced for advice. Here is the nuts of it. I have a 60" flat screen (thin sharp) tv and the sound is no good. I am/ was a mobile audio guy and really appreciate SQ, that being said I know NOTHING about home audio and would like some advice on putting together the nicest system I can on a budget. I would like to keep it under $1000 but if I get more bang for the buck by spending a little more then so be it. I would just go by a HTiB system but from knowing car audio and some web searching I think i will get more for my money if I by separate pieces. I will think i will need A receiver and speakers, I would like to have surround sound and capability to go 7.1 and grow with the receiver. I do like my ipod and do watch alot of movies please keep this in mind. Bottom line its to much to wrap my head around now, So please tell me in your opinion which direction to go. THANKS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So SPEND MY MONEY & let me enjoy the SOUND

I see people are viewing so I am getting excited to see what kind of list I get back
I was looking through the web for hours before i through the towel in and am leaving it up this forum

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
First off Welcome to the Shack! Would not recommend getting a HTIB, personally I think you should buy a receiver and start with a solid LCR.. Will do some research and see what we can do :D

questions for you what are the room dimensions, do you already have a sub, do you live in the US

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JQueen thanks for the response
15'x19' main sitting area is about 16' away from tv
No Sub
I live in Hawaii

dont know what LCR is but will google it
I think I will need
1. receiver
2. speakers (not sure about front, rear, center,or just go simple stereo) would like surround sound that I could still rock out music with when working around the house
3. ????
I have the tv and a blue ray player so only need the audio portion

THANKS AGIAN

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the receivers you suggested they both look really good. they only major difference I noticed was the hdmi inputs 6 vs 8 the. The main thing I want is to be able to hook the ipod up to it or hook up to the wireless wifi connection and Pandora would be a bonus and get good sound with movies

FYI i have Alumapro sub in my car which I think started with home audio and Image Dynamics for mids and highs which also was from a guy that made home audio. This is just to give you an idea of the quality I like but I spends lots of time in my car

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what do you know about Definitive Technology BP 7004's bipolar supertower
I seen a CL ad fro those at $1100 which is way over my budget for speakers but if they will take less and they are worth it might be a deal

Anyway I have been up to late working on computer stuff need to sleep got to work in 5 hours
THANKS FOR THE HELP

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
what do you know about Definitive Technology BP 7004's bipolar supertower
I seen a CL ad fro those at $1100 which is way over my budget for speakers but if they will take less and they are worth it might be a deal

Anyway I have been up to late working on computer stuff need to sleep got to work in 5 hours
THANKS FOR THE HELP
If your willing to pay almost 1000 on speakers then I would recommend these which were recommended yesterday by another member ...
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...loorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again, what speakers setup LCR would you recommend for around $500 and could what would be your recommendation for LCR and Rear and front for surround at the best bang for the buck say around 750 for every thing ?? give or take $100
Tahnks again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the difference between Onkyo tx-nr609 recommended above and Onkyo tx-nr515
I ask because its hard to find the tx-nr609 anywhere other than the link above for the same price. Accessiories4less dont ship to Hawaii

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
What is the difference between Onkyo tx-nr609 recommended above and Onkyo tx-nr515
I ask because its hard to find the tx-nr609 anywhere other than the link above for the same price. Accessiories4less dont ship to Hawaii
Are u sure they don't I thought I seen HI on there list

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not 100% i just type in the zip code to calculate shipping and it says " No valid shipping options"

·
Registered
876 Posts
Three channel sound is a great way to go if you are on a tight budget and want quality speakers; because it is your front 3 speakers that do 95% of the work 95% of the time. Surrounds are a tad over rated. Subwoofers are not necessary. My next system may just be composed of 3 very high quality speakers instead of 5 or 7 really good speakers.

My personal top pick for a budget minded system is the Bowers and Wilkins Panorama 2. The first genearation of this product can be found online for under a grand. But I would stick with gen 2.

Second choices are in order:

1. Paradigm Millenia One 3.0 (available in 2 & 5 channel) with the Millenia Sub.
  2. Paradigm Millenia One CT <-------------------------- REAL $$ WINNER
  3. Paradigm Millenia CT
  4. Onkyo HT-S9400THX HTIB (just as good as many separates, way better than BOSE). Under $1000, complete with HDMI receiver.
  5. BOSE complete home theater with Pioneer VSX-822-K Receiver for $799 at Costco (membership not required for online purchase)
  6. Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers (gen2), These are the best $99-ish speakers you can find. But there is still much much better stuff out there.

I would drive the 2 channel Millenia One (not the CT) with a Yamaha Aventage, due to My Yamaha's ability to recreate a virtual center speaker. Same for the 3 channel. Right now the RX-A810 is selling for the same or less than the RX-A710

I normally don't recommend HTIB systems, but Onkyo THX model is one of those exceptions to a very strict rule.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts